TribLIVE

| Sports

 
Larger text Larger text Smaller text Smaller text | Order Photo Reprints

Judge gives preliminary OK to NFL concussion settlement

Steelers/NFL Videos

Email Newsletters

Click here to sign up for one of our email newsletters.

'American Coyotes' Series

Traveling by Jeep, boat and foot, Tribune-Review investigative reporter Carl Prine and photojournalist Justin Merriman covered nearly 2,000 miles over two months along the border with Mexico to report on coyotes — the human traffickers who bring illegal immigrants into the United States. Most are Americans working for money and/or drugs. This series reports how their operations have a major impact on life for residents and the environment along the border — and beyond.

By The Associated Press
Monday, July 7, 2014, 7:09 p.m.
 

A federal judge Monday granted preliminary approval to a landmark deal that would compensate thousands of former NFL players for concussion-related claims.

The ruling by U.S. District Judge Anita Brody in Philadelphia came about two weeks after the NFL agreed to remove a $675 million cap on damages. Brody previously questioned whether that would be enough money to pay all claims.

“A class action settlement that offers prompt relief is superior to the likely alternative: years of expensive, difficult, and uncertain litigation, with no assurance of recovery, while retired players' physical and mental conditions continue to deteriorate,” Brody wrote.

More than 4,500 former players have filed suit, some accusing the league of fraud for its handling of concussions. They include former Dallas Cowboys running back Tony Dorsett and Super Bowl-winning Chicago Bears quarterback Jim McMahon, who suffers from dementia.

The settlement is designed to last at least 65 years and give $1 million or more to retirees who develop Lou Gehrig's disease and other profound neurological problems.

“This is an extraordinary settlement for retired NFL players and their families, from those who suffer with neuro-cognitive illnesses today, to those who are currently healthy but fear they may develop symptoms decades into the future,” plaintiffs' attorneys Sol Weiss and Christopher Seeger said in a statement.

NFL senior vice president Anastasia Danias said in a statement the league was “grateful to Judge Brody for her guidance and her thoughtful analysis of the issues as reflected in the comprehensive opinion she issued today.”

The original settlement included $675 million for compensatory claims for players with neurological symptoms, $75 million for baseline testing and $10 million for medical research and education. The NFL also would pay an additional $112 million to the players' lawyers, for a total payout of more than $870 million.

The revised settlement eliminates the cap on overall damage claims but retains a payout formula for individual retirees that considers their age and illness. Even with the cap removed, both sides said they believe the NFL will spend no more than about $675 million on damage claims by ex-players.

Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.

 

 


Show commenting policy

Most-Read NFL

  1. NFL notebook: Proposed Brady suspension settlement ‘met with silence’
  2. NFL notebook: Ravens owner Bisciotti denies pressuring Goodell over ‘Deflategate’
  3. Former Raiders star quarterback Stabler dies at 69
  4. NFL notebook: League doles out 3 multiple-game suspensions