NFL notebook: Dungy clarifies Sam comments
ABC News reported that former Buccaneers and Colts coach Tony Dungy attempted to clarify comments he made about Michael Sam, the openly gay linebacker who was drafted by the Rams.
Dungy issued a statement saying Sam “absolutely” deserves to play in the NFL.
Dungy, an NFL analyst for NBC, said he would be concerned only with the distraction that media coverage of Sam's attempt to make the roster would create if he were his coach. In a Tampa Tribune interview Sunday, Dungy said of Sam: “I wouldn't have taken him. Not because I don't believe Michael Sam should have a chance to play, but I wouldn't want to deal with all of it.”
Chiefs' Charles reportedly seeks deal
NFL.com reported Chiefs running back Jamaal Charles is considering a training camp holdout if Kansas City doesn't begin working on a new deal with his representatives.
Charles signed a six-year, $27.97 million contract in 2010, and he's due $3.65 million in 2014. Charles finished second in the NFL with 1,980 yards from scrimmage last year and led the league with 19 rushing and receiving touchdowns.
Browns won't give up on WR Gordon
Coach Mike Pettine and the Browns are not ready to give up on troubled wide receiver Josh Gordon. Pettine told The Plain Dealer in Cleveland that Gordon is expected to show up for the start of training camp on Friday.
“We have no plans to cut him,” said Pettine, according to The Plain Dealer. Gordon faces a possible one-year suspension for multiple violations of the league's substance abuse policy.
Jaguars' Sanders talks suspension
Jaguars receiver Ace Sanders said Tuesday he is facing a four-game suspension and won't be around for the majority of training camp. He declined to discuss the reason for the pending suspension but said “personal issues” will prevent him from attending the start of training camp Friday.
Chargers' Woodhead gets 2-year deal
The Chargers agreed to a two-year contract extension with running back Danny Woodhead. He had career highs of 76 catches (second on the team), 605 yards and six touchdowns last season.
Players challenging settlement
Seven former professional football players have filed a court challenge to a tentative class action settlement of concussion claims that would cost the NFL at least $765 million.
They argued that some players won't be fairly compensated under the plan, especially those whose awards would be reduced or negated because of prior strokes or other factors. Their appeal echoes their previous complaints about the plan.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- NFL notebook: Manning will miss at least 2 more weeks
- NFL notebook: Gifford had CTE, family says
- NFL notebook: Niners put QB Kaepernick on season-ending injured reserve
- NFL notebook: Rookie RB likely to get start vs. Steelers
- NFL notebook: Lawyers say concussion deal excludes central brain injury
- NFL notebook: Ravens QB Flacco out for season