NFL notebook: Dungy clarifies Sam comments
ABC News reported that former Buccaneers and Colts coach Tony Dungy attempted to clarify comments he made about Michael Sam, the openly gay linebacker who was drafted by the Rams.
Dungy issued a statement saying Sam “absolutely” deserves to play in the NFL.
Dungy, an NFL analyst for NBC, said he would be concerned only with the distraction that media coverage of Sam's attempt to make the roster would create if he were his coach. In a Tampa Tribune interview Sunday, Dungy said of Sam: “I wouldn't have taken him. Not because I don't believe Michael Sam should have a chance to play, but I wouldn't want to deal with all of it.”
Chiefs' Charles reportedly seeks deal
NFL.com reported Chiefs running back Jamaal Charles is considering a training camp holdout if Kansas City doesn't begin working on a new deal with his representatives.
Charles signed a six-year, $27.97 million contract in 2010, and he's due $3.65 million in 2014. Charles finished second in the NFL with 1,980 yards from scrimmage last year and led the league with 19 rushing and receiving touchdowns.
Browns won't give up on WR Gordon
Coach Mike Pettine and the Browns are not ready to give up on troubled wide receiver Josh Gordon. Pettine told The Plain Dealer in Cleveland that Gordon is expected to show up for the start of training camp on Friday.
“We have no plans to cut him,” said Pettine, according to The Plain Dealer. Gordon faces a possible one-year suspension for multiple violations of the league's substance abuse policy.
Jaguars' Sanders talks suspension
Jaguars receiver Ace Sanders said Tuesday he is facing a four-game suspension and won't be around for the majority of training camp. He declined to discuss the reason for the pending suspension but said “personal issues” will prevent him from attending the start of training camp Friday.
Chargers' Woodhead gets 2-year deal
The Chargers agreed to a two-year contract extension with running back Danny Woodhead. He had career highs of 76 catches (second on the team), 605 yards and six touchdowns last season.
Players challenging settlement
Seven former professional football players have filed a court challenge to a tentative class action settlement of concussion claims that would cost the NFL at least $765 million.
They argued that some players won't be fairly compensated under the plan, especially those whose awards would be reduced or negated because of prior strokes or other factors. Their appeal echoes their previous complaints about the plan.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.