NFL notebook: Falcons lose veteran OT Baker for season
The plan in Atlanta was to play No. 6 overall pick Jake Matthews at right tackle as a rookie, with veteran Sam Baker manning the blind side for the Falcons.
That plan will have to change.
Baker was carted off the field Saturday night in Houston with a right knee injury.
He was emotional as he was helped up to his feet and clearly could not put any pressure on his leg.
It was confirmed early Sunday by NFL Network that the early diagnosis is a torn patella tendon.
Tests later confirmed the injury, and Baker will miss the entire season.
“Sam had worked extremely hard to get back on the field after missing most of last season, and he was having a good camp,” coach Mike Smith said. “I know he is disappointed, but I also know he is a very resilient football player and will do whatever he can to bounce back.”
• The Buffalo News reported Jon Bon Jovi “reached out” to Jim Kelly, the Bills Hall of Fame quarterback battling cancer, “within the past five days” to discuss teaming up to purchase the Bills. Bon Jovi's bid is in bad shape. Documents emerged last week raising red flags about the group's interest in moving the team to Toronto.
• The Panthers defense didn't get quite the test it normally would Sunday night as Chiefs running back Jamaal Charles missed the Week 2 preseason game with a bruised foot. Charles, the league's third leading rusher last season with 1,287 yards, didn't accompany the team to Charlotte. His absence was called a “precaution.”
• Raiders rookie quarterback Derek Carr suffered a concussion and bruised ribs Friday night against the Lions. Carr was blindsided by Larry Webster. Before the injury, he was 9 of 16 for 109 yards and a touchdown.
• Jaguars receiver Cecil Shorts III, battling a right hamstring injury, practiced Sunday for the first time since July 25 and could play in Friday's preseason game at Detroit. He made it through the session without any setbacks, a positive sign for a receiver who hasn't been able to stay on the field in 2014.
• 49ers safety Antoine Bethea suffered a concussion early in the second quarter of Sunday's preseason game against the Broncos. He was blocked by receiver Cody Latimer when he went down with an apparent head injury. Bethea was escorted by medical staff to the locker room.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- 49ers’ Tomsula proud of Steel City roots
- NFL notebook: Jets file tampering charges against Patriots over comments about Revis
- NFL notebook: WR Wallace ripped by Pouncey twins
- NFL notebook: Bills reportedly reach deal to trade for former Pitt star McCoy
- NFL notebook: Saints, RB Ingram agree to 4-year extension
- NFL notebook: Dolphins trade WR Wallace to Vikings
- NFL notebook: Tebow reportedly works out for Eagles
- Pro Football Hall of Famer Bednarik dies