NFL notebook: Simms, Dungy won't use term 'Redskins'
Two influential NFL voices, including CBS lead analyst Phil Simms, who will handle Washington's Week 4 game, said Monday they likely won't use the term “Redskins” when discussing the franchise.
“My very first thought is it will be Washington the whole game,” Simms told the Associated Press on Monday.
Simms will work the Giants-Redskins game Sept. 25. He isn't taking sides in the debate over whether Washington's nickname is offensive or racist. But he said he is sensitive to the complaints about the name, and his instincts now are to not use Redskins in his announcing.
His broadcast partner, Jim Nantz, said it is “not my job to take a stance.”
NBC's Tony Dungy, one of the most prominent voices in the league as a Super Bowl-winning coach and now as a studio commentator, plans to take the same route as Simms.
Manziel almost a Cowboy
The Cowboys came close to drafting Johnny Manziel. Jerry Jones has said so. A new book details how close the Cowboys might have been to grabbing Johnny Football.
In “Manziel Mania,” author Jim Dent said Jerry Jones had the Manziel draft card literally “snatched” out of his hand before he could turn it in.
“Cowboys vice president Stephen Jones had snatched the Manziel card straight out of his dad's hand. Otherwise, Jerry would have drafted him, and JFF would have sat for at least three years behind Tony Romo,” Dent wrote in an excerpt provided to the Dallas Morning News.
Charles' freak injury
The status of Chiefs Pro Bowl running back Jamaal Charles remains in question after he missed Sunday night's preseason game in Carolina because of a bruised foot.
Charles made it through every training camp practice without picking up any significant bumps or bruises. Then, when he was moving out of the Missouri Western dorms Thursday night, he rolled his foot over a curb.
Coach Andy Reid said Charles had X-rays and an MRI exam that revealed no significant injury.
Around the league
Titans running back Shonn Greene said his right knee didn't hurt during practice Monday, his first workout since it briefly was bent the wrong way in a preseason game. ... The Jaguars gave rookie quarterback Blake Bortles repetitions with the first-team offense in practice. ... Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski participated in 11-on-11 drills Monday. ... Bills rookie receiver Sammy Watkins is day-to-day after tests confirmed a diagnosis of bruised ribs.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pittsburgh angles to keep Heinz headquarters in merger
- West Virginia women oust Duquesne from WNIT
- Penguins’ protracted slump continues with 5-2 loss at Carolina
- Police seek leads in shooting outside Wylie Avenue bar
- Pirates notebook: Worley bounces back after rough start
- Germanwings co-pilot silent as he deliberately slammed plane into Alps
- A-K Valley roundup: No. 1 Fox Chapel volleyball blanks North Allegheny
- Roberto Clemente Bridge closes for construction of bike lanes
- Pirates notebook: McCutchen says he’s ‘glad’ to be on field
- Stop foreign dumping, U.S. Steel CEO Longhi tells Congress
- Man charged in child rape case from 2014 arrested again