NFL notebook: Leagues join to evaluate concussions
NEW YORK — Medical officials from the NFL, FIFA and other sports organizations are banding together to look into better ways to identify, manage and treat concussions.
The “think tank,” funded by an educational grant from the NFL, was Sunday and Monday at league headquarters in New York.
Dozens of scientific and medical personnel from football, rugby and equestrian circles participated.
Dr. Rich Ellenbogen, chairman of the NFL's head, neck and spine committee, said the various sports organizations “need to look at all variations of what is being done around the world.”
More meetings are planned, perhaps as soon as later this year.
League suspends safety
The NFL suspended Redskins safety Brandon Meriweather for a blow to the head of an opponent, which is his sixth violation of player safety rules.
Meriweather will miss the first two regular-season games for his helmet-to-helmet hit on receiver Torrey Smith during Saturday night's game against the Ravens.
Around the league
The Buccaneers will meet with Richie Incognito to determine if one of the central figures in the Dolphins bullying scandal can help their offensive line. ESPN.com reported the league has cleared Incognito for all regular-season activity, a league source said. The website said several teams are interested in Incognito. ... The Jets indefinitely suspended cornerback Dimitri Patterson after he left the team for 48 hours without contacting the organization. ... Vikings coach Mike Zimmer named Matt Cassel as his starting quarterback.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- HOF finalist Bettis ‘behind everything’ in 2005 Super Bowl run
- Dungy, Greene represent more Steelers ties in hall of fame voting
- Ex-Aliquippa, Pitt star Revis finally realizes Super Bowl dream
- Now a Patriot, RB Blount’s thrilled to have moved on from Steelers
- NFL notebook: Manning would like to make decision on NFL future soon
- Normally tight-lippped Marshawn Lynch fires back at critics
- Seahawks’ Sherman credits upbringing for building his character
- Getting fired by Patriots led to Carroll’s reinvention
- Starkey: Suspend ‘Beli-cheat,’ now or later
- NFL notebook: Patriots employee under scrutiny in underinflated footballs probe
- Healthy Gronkowski ready to roll in Super Bowl