NFL notebook: Ex-player Gilbert releases platform for NFLPA bid
Sean Gilbert on Tuesday unveiled the platform that he will stand upon in trying to oust NFL Players Association executive director DeMaurice Smith during the next election in March.
The 44-year-old former Aliquippa and Pitt defensive tackle would move to terminate the current collective bargaining agreement on the grounds of collusion.
Gilbert, a former NFL defensive lineman who once sat out a whole season amid a contract dispute, would raise the minimum player salary to $1 million. He would also support an 18-game regular season in the name of generating more revenue.
“This is about principle and passion,” he said.
Nearly a year since he publicly revealed his intent to pursue Smith's job, Gilbert shared more details during a media conference call regarding the nuts-and-bolts of his mission.
Wresting power from Smith, who was elected in 2009 and re-elected to a three-year term in 2012, will be daunting in another sense: Gilbert must sway a rank-and-file membership that typically takes its lead from player reps and the board of directors.
• The Buccaneers addressed a need to upgrade their struggling offensive line by obtaining six-time Pro Bowl guard Logan Mankins from the Patriots for tight end Tim Wright and a draft pick.
• Raiders cornerback DJ Hayden will miss at least the first six weeks of the season after being placed on the physically unable to perform list with a stress fracture in his right foot.
• Thad Lewis is out and Jordan Palmer is in following the Bills' late preseason shuffle of backup quarterbacks.
• The Broncos acquired first-year kicker Brandon McManus from the Giants for a conditional seventh-round pick in 2015, and released rookie kickerMitch Ewald.
• The Seahawks will forfeit two days of on-field minicamp practices next offseason after being penalized by the league for excessive physical contact during their 2014 minicamp.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Innovation enhances Philadelphia’s history as Democrats convene, Pope Francis visits
- Woman shot outside Kennywood Park in West Mifflin
- McCutchen, Pirates hitters increasingly in crosshairs
- Apollo Independence Day celebration salutes those who sacrificed
- Don’t remove history’s lessons
- Pirates minor league report: Ramirez more mindful while at plate
- Draft accords of sanctions relief at Iran nuclear talks in hand
- State-owned universities spend millions in race to snare students
- United Way Impact Fund Grants to award $445K to 26 Butler County nonprofits
- Starting 9: Pirates missing out on young bat
- Pakistani military says it achieved major victory over Islamist terrorists