NFL notebook: Manning fined for taunting Texans safety
Peyton Manning was docked a reported $8,268 for taunting Texans safety D.J. Swearinger in a preseason game last week.
The Broncos quarterback laid into the safety for hitting Wes Welker in the head, which left the slot receiver with his third concussion in 10 months.
“I accept it,” Manning told ESPN. “Money well spent.”
Swearinger's hit on Welker drew a 15-yard personal foul — but so far no word of a fine.
Manning was irked by the hit on Welker, and after throwing a 29-yard TD pass to Emmanuel Sanders on the next snap, he ran up to Swearinger and let him know it.
Swearinger said Manning swore at him but wouldn't go into details: “He didn't invite me to dinner,” Swearinger said.
He insisted, however, that his hit on Welker wasn't dirty, explaining the receiver slid at the last moment.
• A person familiar with Josh Gordon's situation says the suspended receiver wants to play in the Canadian Football League but is prohibited from doing so. Under CFL rules, a player suspended by the NFL and under contract is not eligible to play in Canada. But if the Browns released Gordon, he would be able to play elsewhere. Gordon's year-long suspension for another violation of the NFL's substance abuse policy was upheld. The 23-year-old Pro Bowler wanted to play for Calgary and asked the Browns for permission.
• Dimitri Patterson disputes the Jets' version of his mysterious absence. The suspended cornerback said in a statement to ESPN that the Jets' claims that he went missing for 48 hours without notifying the team are “completely false.” Patterson was suspended Tuesday for the rest of the preseason after he left the team, according to the Jets, and went missing last Friday night before the preseason game against the Giants without speaking to anyone in the organization.
• Vikings running back Adrian Peterson is reiterating he hopes to remain in Minnesota until he retires in response to a report that he reached out to Jerry Jones about playing for the Cowboys this summer.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Mother of NFL Hall of Famer and Aliquippa native Ditka dies
- NFL notebook: Report: Manning set to return to Broncos, takes $4M pay cut
- Combine notebook: New 49ers coach, W.Pa. native Tomsula growing more comfortable
- NFL notebook: Bills reportedly reach deal to trade for former Pitt star McCoy
- NFL notebook: After ruling, Panthers’ Hardy seeking immediate reinstatement
- NFL notebook: Cowboys to place franchise tag on wide receiver Bryant
- NFL notebook: Lions opt not to tag DT Suh
- Rossi: NFL has some deeds worth celebrating
- Combine quarterbacks must learn new techniques to make jump to next level
- Steelers notebook: Search for tight end could lead to Penn State’s James
- NFL notebook: Seahawks’ S Thomas has surgery on shoulder