NFL notebook: Ex-Bills great Jim Kelly 'overwhelmed' by cancer-free tests
ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. — Hall of Fame quarterback Jim Kelly almost was lost for words upon learning follow-up tests revealed he shows no signs of having sinus cancer.
“I don't even know what to do with myself. I'm so overwhelmed. I'm so thankful,” Kelly was quoted as saying in a message posted on his wife, Jill's, Instagram account. “I want to literally hug and thank all of you in person.”
Kelly called it “a long road” and said he's not yet fully recovered from cancer treatments.
NFL, NFLPA talking HGH tests
The league and the players association are picking up negotiations to have testing for HGH for the first time, ESPN.com reported. The sides reportedly would like to have an agreement in place before Sunday's games. Testing could begin 10 to 14 days after a deal is made.
Bengals bring back DT Still
Former Penn State defensive tackle Devon Still was added to the Bengals practice squad, a move that will help the three-year veteran pay for cancer treatments for his 4-year-old daughter. Still didn't make the 53-man roster, but being on the practice squad will provide a weekly salary of $6,300 and medical insurance.
Calf injury sidelines Brady
Tom Brady is nursing a calf injury that forced him to miss practice Thursday. Rookie Jimmy Garoppolo, the Patriots' second-round draft choice, is the only other quarterback on the 53-man roster.
Cam Newton's status unclear
The Panthers are sounding less and less optimistic Cam Newton will be ready for the team's regular season opener Sunday at Tampa Bay. Coach Ron Rivera said he will make a game-time decision on Newton's availability after the quarterback was limited in practice Thursday while recovering from fractured ribs.
Around the league
Jadeveon Clowney said he's ready to make his NFL debut for the Texans after recovering from a concussion. ... A person familiar with his plans said Browns' suspended Pro Bowl wide receiver Josh Gordon will work for a car dealership while serving his NFL punishment.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Ferrante trial: Doctor couldn’t figure out what made Klein so sick
- Pennsylvania chips in $2.5M for $38M boutique hotel in Pittsburgh
- Counterfeit credit card ring falls for failure to remember birth date on fake ID
- Rossi: Middling Steelers must make a statement
- Predators winger Neal caught ‘blindsided’ by trade from Penguins
- Steelers’ Adams delivers in pinch against Texans
- Fight against Islamic State at impasse, military commanders say
- Arrest made in connection with Rostraver home invasion
- Monsour hospital properties sold at free-and-clear sale
- Steelers free safety Mitchell is still settling into role on defense
- Nationwide drug ring was centered in Homewood, prosecutor says