Commissioner: NHL will cancel more of its schedule
NEW YORK — The 2012-13 NHL season is in jeopardy, with another batch of games along with the NHL All-Star Game in Columbus set to be canceled soon.
What has become clear is that Bettman, who said that more games being canceled shortly is “inevitable,” isn't interested in letting the lockout drag on much longer. Soon, the hockey world will know if there will be a season, or if a second campaign in eight years will be lost.
Bettman said Wednesday that the league is losing between $18-20 million per day during the lockout. He also shed some light on a possible timetable for a season cancellation.
“You can go look at the timetable from other leagues and other seasons to do it,” Bettman said.
This was a clear reference to last season's NBA lockout. Bettman was NBA commissioner David Stern's right hand man before coming to the NHL in 1993 and still models aspects of the NHL after methods the NBA uses.
Last year, the NBA and its Players' Association engaged themselves in a nasty dispute that wasn't resolved until Nov. 26. The season started a month later on Christmas Day.
There is little reason to believe Bettman will permit the season start should this dispute rage into the New Year.
The NHL started the 1994-95 season Jan. 11 and the regular season began nine days later. That season saw each team play 48 regular-season games.
There remains time for this NHL season to see 60 games.
“That would be fine,” Penguins player representative Craig Adams said. “We know they aren't going to let this thing go on forever. But there's still time to get a deal done.”
Bettman did express optimism because the NHLPA and league grew closer on certain issues Wednesday. Still, he and NHLPA executive director Don Fehr remain combative with one another.
“I'm not focused on anything right now other than trying to make a deal,” Bettman said. “Once we make a deal, we'll see what we can do with the schedule. I'm focused on that. I'd like to have a deal yesterday.”
Josh Yohe is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or 412-664-9161 Ext. 1975.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.