NHL notebook: Blue Jackets' top pick Murray out 6 months
COLUMBUS, Ohio — Columbus Blue Jackets defenseman Ryan Murray, the second overall pick in the NHL draft last summer, underwent surgery Friday morning to repair a dislocation of his left shoulder.
He faces up to a six-month recovery.
Murray, captain of the Western Hockey League's Everett Silvertips, was injured Nov. 16 in a game against the Victoria Royals. He had appeared in 23 games this season, with two goals and 15 assists with 14 penalty minutes. The 19-year-old White City, Saskatchewan, native also helped Canada capture a bronze medal at the 2012 World Junior Championships.
Stunned Leafs players speak out after GM Burke's firing
Maple Leafs captain Dion Phaneuf says the dismissal of general manager Brian Burke was a shock.
Phaneuf said all of the players respected Burke, but they'll have to move forward because there is little preparation time before the games begin.
Burke was fired as GM and president Wednesday after four years at the helm of the NHL club and replaced by longtime assistant Dave Nonis.
Phaneuf was joined by about two dozen players for an informal workout at Toronto's practice facility. The captain said he has a good relationship with Nonis and is looking forward to working for him.
Sabres' Myers says ankle is ‘100 percent' healed
Buffalo Sabres defenseman Tyler Myers expects to be ready for the start of the season, saying he's recovered from an ankle injury sustained while playing in Austria.
Myers declared himself “100 percent” after becoming the latest Sabres player to participate in informal practices at a suburban arena. Concerns were raised after Buffalo's star defenseman was hurt early last month playing for Austria's Klagenfurter AC.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Hax: Pregnant sister is off her rocker over alleged chair-breaking incident
- Ex-wife of late Argentine prosecutor: Death was a homicide
- Roadwork detailed for Pittsburgh’s East Ohio Street
- Agent: Polamalu undecided whether to play in 2015
- Penguins notebook: Road trip increases in difficulty
- Beistel overcomes nerves, 1st-round opponent at PIAA Class AA tournament
- Federal jury says gas company shorted owners on royalties
- Starkey: In defense of Mel Kiper Jr.
- Mt. Lebanon deer-culling corrals sprayed with urine, repellent
- Seneca Valley special-needs student left on bus
- Federal judge dismisses complaint against foreclosure propery management company