NHL notebook: Niedermayer joins Ducks coaching staff
• Former Ducks captain and four-time Stanley Cup champion defenseman Scott Niedermayer will be an assistant to Anaheim coach Bruce Boudreau this season, the Ducks announced Friday. Niedermayer won't make every road trip with the club, and he won't stand behind the Ducks' bench during most games.
• Roberto Luongo is still open to a trade no matter how long it takes the Canucks to deal him. The star goalie returned to the ice for an informal workout with his Canucks teammates Friday. Luongo was displaced as Vancouver's No. 1 netminder by Cory Schneider in last year's playoffs. After the season, Luongo said he would waive his no-trade clause if asked. According to reports, the Flyers are one of the teams interested.
• After skating with his teammates Friday, Capitals center Nicklas Backstrom told reporters in Washington he did not have a concussion and expects to be in the team's lineup when the NHL season begins.
• Forward Jochen Hecht is returning to play for the Sabres after agreeing to a one-year contract, his German professional team announced. Hecht has spent this season playing for his hometown team of Adler Mannheim. Hecht will rejoin the Sabres, where he's played for the past nine NHL seasons. Last season, he missed 60 games because of concussions.
• Sabres goalie Ryan Miller is back in Buffalo to rejoin his teammates, eagerly awaiting the start of the regular season and still upset over the four-month NHL lockout. Miller, who played a role in labor talks, called the dispute “stupid” and “a useless waste of time.” He blamed owners and singled out NHL commissioner Gary Bettman for prolonging the lockout into January.
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments â either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.