NHL notebook: Flyers tab Giroux as new captain
The Philadelphia Flyers named Claude Giroux the 19th captain in team history.
General manager Paul Holmgren made the announcement Tuesday night. The Flyers say Kimmo Timonen will serve as associate captain, and Scott Hartnell and Danny Briere will serve as alternate captains.
Giroux takes over for defenseman Chris Pronger. Pronger has not played for the Flyers since Nov. 19, 2011, and still suffers from lingering effects of multiple concussions.
Giroux enters his fifth full season with the Flyers. He had 28 goals and 93 points last season, the most points by a Flyer since Eric Lindros had 93 in 1998-99. He was selected by the Flyers in the first round of the 2006 NHL Entry Draft. Giroux has 78 goals and 165 assists for 243 points in 285 career games.
The Flyers open the season at home Saturday against the Penguins.
Red Wings name Zetterberg captain
The Detroit Red Wings chose Henrik Zetterberg as their captain, replacing retired defenseman Nicklas Lidstrom. The 32-year-old Zetterberg has been an alternate captain for the Red Wings. The Swedish forward had 22 goals and 47 assists last season.
Original owner of Sharks dies
George Gund III, the original owner of the San Jose Sharks, has died at 75. The Sharks said Gund died Tuesday after a battle with cancer.
General manager Doug Wilson praised Gund as a great ambassador for hockey.
Gund and his brother Gordon relinquished their ownership stake in the Minnesota North Stars in 1990 in exchange for the rights to an expansion team in the Bay Area. The Sharks played their first game in October 1991.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- NHL notebook: Panthers interested in re-signing 43-year-old Jagr
- NHL notebook: Canadiens acquire Petry from Oilers
- NHL notebook: Pair of Avalanche players pick up fines
- NHL notebook: Blue Jackets’ Clarkson sidelined 4 to 6 weeks with torn oblique
- ESPN will air 2016 World Cup of Hockey
- NHL notebook: Avalanche center MacKinnon will miss 6 to 8 weeks with broken foot
- NHL general manager talks to key on goalies
- NHL notebook: Maple Leafs center Kadri suspended 4 games for hit
- NHL notebook: Maple Leafs sign Penn State’s Bailey to 2-year contract
- NHL notebook: Kings recall high-salaried center Richards from AHL