NHL notebook: After 2 years, Poti returns with Capitals
Tom Poti is back after missing two years because of injuries.
The Washington Capitals defenseman was in the lineup for Saturday night's season opener against the Tampa Bay Lightning.
Poti has battled physical issues, including a lingering groin injury. Poti recently passed a physical and scored one goal in two games during a conditioning stint at Hershey of the AHL.
“It feels good,” Poti said after skating with his teammates Saturday morning. “It's nice to know that all the hard work I did over the last two years paid off. I'm just excited to be back with the guys and playing some games.”
Poti had last appeared in the lineup for an NHL game Jan. 12, 2011, with Washington at Tampa Bay.
Sabres re-sign GM
The Buffalo Sabres are keeping Darcy Regier around as general manager.
Team owner Terry Pegula announced that the Sabres extended Regier's contract. Buffalo opens its lockout-shortened season Sunday at home against Philadelphia.
Regier, entering his 16th season as Sabres general manager, has overseen a franchise that has reached the Eastern Conference finals four times, most recently in 2007. However, Buffalo has missed the playoffs in three of the past five seasons.
No terms of the extension were released, but Pegula said the deal was in place for quite some time.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Ramp dedicated to slain McKeesport officer’s memory
- Holocaust survivor shares his story again
- Steelers use 3 late first-half TDs to stun Texans
- Shelter’s spat with YCC is delayed
- ROAD RULES
- Pittsburgh police officers start wearing video cameras
- Rookie Bryant sparks deep passing game for Steelers in victory
- For all but 2 minutes vs. Steelers, Texans played ‘pretty good game’
- Rossi: Steelers’ season all about going big
- Kin of 2013 DUI crash victim in Hempfield lose young family in fire
- Freeport volleyball team’s other foe is complacency