NHL notebook: After 2 years, Poti returns with Capitals
Tom Poti is back after missing two years because of injuries.
The Washington Capitals defenseman was in the lineup for Saturday night's season opener against the Tampa Bay Lightning.
Poti has battled physical issues, including a lingering groin injury. Poti recently passed a physical and scored one goal in two games during a conditioning stint at Hershey of the AHL.
“It feels good,” Poti said after skating with his teammates Saturday morning. “It's nice to know that all the hard work I did over the last two years paid off. I'm just excited to be back with the guys and playing some games.”
Poti had last appeared in the lineup for an NHL game Jan. 12, 2011, with Washington at Tampa Bay.
Sabres re-sign GM
The Buffalo Sabres are keeping Darcy Regier around as general manager.
Team owner Terry Pegula announced that the Sabres extended Regier's contract. Buffalo opens its lockout-shortened season Sunday at home against Philadelphia.
Regier, entering his 16th season as Sabres general manager, has overseen a franchise that has reached the Eastern Conference finals four times, most recently in 2007. However, Buffalo has missed the playoffs in three of the past five seasons.
No terms of the extension were released, but Pegula said the deal was in place for quite some time.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- PennDOT puts 14 Alle-Kiski Valley bridges on list to be replaced
- Steelers to bring LB Harrison out of retirement
- Freeport dock bid exceeds resources
- Harrison OKs antenna zoning change
- Steelers defense must replace three injured starters after victory
- Flag holders stolen off veterans’ graves in Lower Burrell cemetery
- Apollo-Ridge middle school library project gains STEAM
- Liriano, McCutchen help Pirates to 1-0 win over Braves
- Cloverleaf bridge work to resume after change
- Red Wings beat Penguins, 2-1, in preseason opener
- Pirates notebook: Volquez open to re-signing with team