NHL notebook: Flyers' lose forward Hartnell to injury
The Philadelphia Flyers might be wishing they could just hit a reset button on the 2013 season, because nothing is going right.
Not only are they off to an 0-3 start, but now one of their top forwards, Scott Hartnell, is out indefinitely with a left foot injury, general manager Paul Holmgren announced Wednesday night.
Holmgren said they will know more on the injury in a day or two as they await the result of tests.
Hartnell played 17 minutes during the Flyers' 3-0 loss to the New Jersey Devils on Tuesday night and has no goals and one assist so far this season. He is coming off a career year, scoring a team-leading 37 goals to go with 30 assists. That performance earned him a six-year, $28.5 million contract extension over the summer.
Flyers' Schenn suspended
The NHL has suspended Flyers forward Brayden Schenn one game for charging New Jersey Devils defenseman Anton Volchenkov.
Schenn will miss Thursday's game against the New York Rangers. Schenn will forfeit $4,702.70.
Avs lose Downie for season
The Avalanche will be without Steve Downie for the rest of the season after the forward tore his ACL against Los Angeles on Tuesday night.
The team announced Wednesday that he will soon undergo surgery.
Downie left the game in the second period as the Avalanche rallied for a 3-1 win over the Kings.
Oilers, city arena talks back on
The Oilers and the city have agreed to resurrect a deal to build a new downtown arena. City councilors have voted to accept a cost-shared deal for a $480 million rink.
After surrounding infrastructure is added in, the final bill will be $601 million. The money will come from taxpayers, Oilers owner Daryl Katz and a ticket tax. The deal is still more than $100 million short.
Rangers lose Asham to groin injury
Rangers right wing Arron Asham sat out against the Boston Bruins on Wednesday night.
The veteran forward hurt his groin in New York's loss to the Penguins.
Sharks sign veteran Gomez
The Sharks signed free agent center Scott Gomez to a one-year deal.
Terms of the deal announced Wednesday were not released.
Gomez, a 12-year NHL veteran and two-time All-Star, had two goals and nine assists in 38 games with Montreal last season.
Red Wings defenseman hurt
The Red Wings have lost another defenseman to an injury.
Detroit general manager Ken Holland said Ian White will be out two to three weeks after having surgery Wednesday to repair a deep leg laceration.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- New Florence man charged with killing police officer
- Steelers stalled by Seahawks, on outside of AFC wild-card picture
- Rossi: It’s past time for NFL to protect players
- Steelers’ Roethlisberger reported symptoms that led to his exit vs. Seahawks
- Steelers players say they support Tomlin’s attempts at deception
- Week 12 — Steelers-Seahawks gameday grades
- Re-enactor commits to pioneer lifestyle in Murrysville cabin
- Sports Deli is latest tenant to say goodbye to Parkway Center Mall
- Penn State coach Franklin fires offensive coordinator Donovan
- Package thefts can be prevented, police, experts say
- University of Pittsburgh researchers revisit war of electric currents