NHL notebook: Blue Jackets fire GM Howson
• The Columbus Blue Jackets fired general manager Scott Howson. The move was announced by John Davidson, the club's director of hockey operations, in an email Tuesday night. The announcement came roughly 24 hours after the Blue Jackets' biggest win of the season, 6-2 over the San Jose Sharks on Monday. Howson oversaw a resurgence of the Blue Jackets in the 2008-09 season, when they went a franchise-best 41-31-10 and made the playoffs with star forward Rick Nash and Calder Trophy-winning goalie Steve Mason leading the way. But the club then fell on hard times, and last season went an NHL-worst 29-46-7.
• Calgary Flames goalie Miikka Kiprusoff is expected to be sidelined two more weeks because of a sprained knee ligament. The 36-year-old Kiprusoff has played 70-plus games for seven consecutive seasons. He was injured against Detroit on Feb. 5.
• Minnesota goalie Josh Harding told the Wild he's feeling a little “off” from medication he takes to fight multiple sclerosis. The Wild recalled goalie Darcy Kuemper from their AHL affiliate before Tuesday's game in Vancouver.
• The Toronto Maple Leafs said goalie James Reimer will miss at least a week because of a strained knee ligament. Reimer was injured in the second period of Toronto's 5-2 home victory over Philadelphia on Monday night. He is 6-3 with a 2.31 goals-against average and a shutout in 10 appearances this season.
• The Boston Bruins signed forward Jay Pandolfo to a one-year, two-way contract. The deal would pay him $600,000 if he is in the NHL and $350,000 in the minor leagues. Pandolfo was placed on waivers, a move that allows the Bruins to send him to Providence of the AHL.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Polamalu made 1st-time captain; Roethlisberger named for offense
- Democratic gubernatorial nominee in spotlight at Labor Day Parade
- Connellsville’s St. Rita Christian Mothers to hold Nationality Day
- Steelers formalize practice squad
- Steelers receiver Heyward-Bey looks to make most of chance
- Family of Children’s Hospital transplant baby urges feds to change cochlear implants policy
- Steelers know fast start could be key to upcoming season
- ‘Extreme extrovert’ takes over at WCCC
- Pirates notebook: Sanchez returns to Bucs in offensive slump
- Indian Creek Valley Community Center demolition under way
- Western Pa. volunteers battle wildfires in West