Share This Page
NHL

NHL notebook: Anisimov out of hospital

| Friday, Feb. 22, 2013, 9:00 p.m.

Oft-injured goalie Rick DiPietro was placed on waivers by the New York Islanders and will likely be headed to the minors once he clears, as expected.

The Islanders announced the move Friday, one day after they defeated the Canadiens in Montreal. New York will next play at the Buffalo Sabres on Saturday before returning home to face Carolina on Sunday.

The 31-year-old DiPietro has played in only three games this season while serving as the backup to Evgeni Nabokov. He is 0-3 with a 4.09 goals-against average in his appearances.

Because of the 15-year, $67.5 million contract DiPietro signed with the Islanders before the 2006-07 season, the goalie is all but certain to clear waivers. When he does, it is believed he will then be sent down by the Islanders to Bridgeport of the American Hockey League.

There are still eight years at $4.5 million per season remaining on DiPietro's landmark deal — one that now exceeds the term limits permitted in the collective bargaining agreement the NHL made with the players' association to end this season's lockout.

DiPietro would earn his NHL salary while in the minor leagues and still count against the Islanders' salary cap. New York needs that cap hit along with the $5 million charge it is carrying for suspended goalie Tim Thomas.

The veteran Thomas, who has said he isn't playing this season, was acquired by the Islanders from the Boston Bruins on Feb. 7 for the sole purpose of keeping New York slightly above the required minimum payroll of $44 million. However, Thomas is not being paid while he is sitting out, but still counts against the cap.

The 38-year-old Thomas chose to take this season off following the NHL lockout and was suspended by the Bruins after he didn't report to training camp last month. He is in the final season of a four-year deal.

Ruff says he's not done

Lindy Ruff is finding it difficult being a spectator after his 16-year run as Sabres coach came to an abrupt end this week.

“Ah, god, I miss it already,” Ruff said Friday. “Most people wouldn't, but I watched hockey the first night. It's hard. It's a tough feeling. It's been a strange feeling. But I've got to keep going. I love the game.”

Speaking publicly for the first time since he was fired on Wednesday, Ruff said it's his intention to pursue another job because he's not lost his passion for coaching. He also made clear that he'll never lose his affection for Buffalo or the Sabres.

Anisimov out of hospital

Blue Jackets center Artem Anisimov was released from a Detroit hospital and has flown home after a scary hit in a game with the Red Wings on Thursday night.

Anisimov checked out of Detroit Medical Center earlier in the day and flew home to Columbus along with assistant athletic trainer Nates Goto, team spokesman Todd Sharrock said.

Anisimov was taken off the ice on a stretcher after being struck in the head by Red Wings defenseman Kyle Quincey. Anisimov's head then hit the ice as Quincey fell on top of him.

Landeskog to return

The Avalanche will have captain Gabriel Landeskog back on the ice when they play in Los Angeles on Saturday.

The league's reigning rookie of the year recently returned to practice after sitting out 11 games with a concussion. He will play on the same line as Paul Stastny and David Jones.

Landeskog provides an offensive boost for a team that at times has struggled to score goals this season.

Mursak waived by Wings

The Red Wings put Jan Mursak on waivers, giving teams until noon Saturday to claim the 25-year-old left wing.

Mursak has played in only two games for Detroit this season. He had a goal and two assists in 25 games in 2011-12.

The Yugoslavia-born Mursak has two goals and two assists in 46 NHL games, all with Detroit.

TribLIVE commenting policy

You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.

We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.

While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.

We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers

We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.

We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.

We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.

We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.