NHL notebook: Oilers place goalie Khabibulin on IR
• The Canucks said that Ryan Kesler will be out for up to six weeks because of a broken right foot. The fracture was revealed on a CT scan. Kesler didn't practice Wednesday and was seen wearing an air cast. He returned to action two weeks ago after taking longer to recover from offseason shoulder surgery. He has a goal and four assists in seven games this season.
• The Oilers placed Nikolai Khabibulin on injury reserve after the 40-year-old goaltender injured his groin. Khabibulin was hurt in Edmonton's 3-2 overtime loss to Chicago on Monday. He has a 2.11 goals-against average and a .935 save percentage in five games this season, the last of his four-year deal with the Oilers. Edmonton recalled Yann Danis from the Oklahoma City Barons of the American Hockey League.
• The Stars activated Kari Lehtonen from the injured list, and the goalie said he expects to play Thursday against Edmonton. Lehtonen has missed five games because of a groin injury after leaving in the first period of a 4-3 win over Vancouver on Feb. 15. The 29-year-old Lehtonen was among the leaders in wins when he was injured. He is 7-2-1 with a 2.12 goals-against average and a .934 save percentage.
• The Capitals recalled goaltender Philipp Grubauer from Hershey of the AHL. The Capitals brought in Grubauer because Michal Neuvirth is ill. He served as the backup for Braden Holtby for the road game against the Flyers on Wednesday night.
• The Blue Jackets placed defenseman James Wisniewski on injured reserve retroactive to Feb. 24, and he is expected to miss four to six weeks with a broken right foot. Wisniewski was injured when he was struck by a shot during Sunday's game against the Chicago Blackhawks.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Armed officers comb woods for state trooper ambush suspect
- Turkey: 49 hostages captured by Islamic State freed
- Mon Yough Chamber lends support to bike event
- Moore hopes to see red (zone) in Steelers debut
- Steelers notebook: Ravens DL fined for hit on Roethlisberger
- Martin’s homer rescues Pirates in 4-2 victory over Brewers
- City’s plan for Strip flummoxes vendors
- Monument to Steel Valley Korean War hero relocated
- Inside the glass: Johnston’s opening practice grueling
- Penguins’ new 3rd jersey similar to early 1990s version
- Beaver footprints found along Allegheny River bank, not gator