NHL notebook: Rangers' Richards sits against Flyers
By The Tribune-Review
Published: Tuesday, March 5, 2013, 7:21 p.m.
• Rangers center Brad Richards sat out against the Flyers two nights after absorbing a hard hit from behind that led to a suspension for Buffalo's Patrick Kaleta. Richards, who played in New York's 20 games this season before Tuesday night, returned to the ice Sunday after being shaken up in the third period of the Rangers' 3-2 shootout victory over Buffalo. He remained down for several minutes and received treatment before feeling well enough to finish the game. Richards also skated briefly Tuesday morning, but he was ruled out about 90 minutes before Tuesday's game.
• The Panthers said forward Stephen Weiss will miss the rest of the season because of a wrist injury, the latest blow for the reigning Southeast Division champions. Panthers general manager Dale Tallon made the announcement Tuesday, with Weiss being among more than a half-dozen key Florida players who are dealing with injuries. Also included on that list is goaltender Jose Theodore, who will miss four to six weeks with a leg injury. Tallon said Weiss will have surgery next week. He had only one goal and three assists in 17 games this season.
• The Capitals waived veteran Roman Hamrlik. The 38-year-old defenseman has played in only four games this season. He is in the final season of a two-year, $7 million contract he signed in the summer of 2011. The Capitals placed him on waivers Tuesday after signing and recalling defenseman Steve Oleksy from Hershey of the AHL on Monday. Hamrlik has played for six NHL teams since making his debut with the Lightning in 1992.
• The Maple Leafs signed defenseman Korbinian Holzer to a two-year contract extension. Holzer, 25, has appeared in 16 games with Toronto this season. He has two goals, 19 penalty minutes and is tied for third on the team in blocked shots.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- NHL notebook: Flyers goalie Mason might miss playoff opener
- Blackhawks’ Kane to miss 3 weeks
- Lightning LW Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession