Blue Jackets, Jets swap minor-league forwards
By The Associated Press
Published: Sunday, March 10, 2013, 7:48 p.m.
Updated: Monday, March 11, 2013
• The Columbus Blue Jackets traded forward Tomas Kubalik to the Winnipeg Jets for forward Spencer Machacek. Machacek will report to Columbus' American Hockey League affiliate in Springfield, Mass., after Sunday's deal. The 24-year-old Machacek was selected in the third round, 67th overall, of the 2008 draft. The 6-foot-1, 195-pound right winger has two goals and seven assists in 25 career NHL games with the Thrashers/Jets. He had 11 goals and 14 assists in 57 games with St. John's this season. Columbus' sixth pick, 135th overall, at the 2008 draft, Kubalik has a goal and three assists in 12 games with the Blue Jackets. The 6-3, 215-pound right winger has played in 190 AHL games, with 49 goals and 47 assists.
• The Los Angeles Kings recalled center Tyler Toffoli from Manchester of the AHL. Toffoli could make his NHL debut Monday night for the defending Stanley Cup champions. Toffoli has 48 points and a plus-20 rating in 55 games this season with Manchester, emerging as one of the Kings' top prospects. He is the AHL's second-leading goal scorer, netting 28 in his rookie season. The 20-year-old Toffoli, who was a second-round draft choice, is available to play for the Kings against Calgary on Monday.
• The Dallas Stars lost Jamie Benn late in Saturday's game against the Coyotes on a hit by Phoenix center Martin Hanzal. The hit appeared to come late on the play, and it could be argued it was high and from the blind side on a defenseless player. The NHL has been trying to get those hits out of the game, so Hanzal could face disciplinary action. However, he was not penalized on the play.
- NHL roundup: Rangers stay alive with victory
- Roy to become coach of Avalanche
- Canucks fire coach after 1st-round sweep
- Detroit’s Cleary is at his pest best against Chicago
- NHL notebook: Rangers aim for another 0-2 comeback
- Roy rumored to be Avalanche’s new coach
- Red Wings take 2-1 series lead over Blackhawks
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.