Rangers, McDonagh stay positive despite difficulties
New York Rangers defenseman Ryan McDonagh goes one-on-one with the Trib :
Q: How frustrated are you by the season?
A: We're competitive as a group. We wanted to build on what we did last season, and it hasn't gone the way we wanted it to go. But we're trying to stay positive. We just have to stick together. We still have a lot of confidence in the things that we're doing here. We really do. We just need to keep positive.
Q: Have you been able to identify anything in particular that has been a problem this season?
A: We've had more consistent minutes lately in our games, actually. We've been getting close to capitalizing. It just seems like that one time we have a breakdown, the puck is ending up in our net. We're just doing our best to work hard and stay confident. That's all we can do, honestly.
Q: The Penguins, especially Sidney Crosby, are on a roll. What are they doing now that they didn't do earlier in the season?
A: We played them early on. We haven't seen them in a while. Obviously, they're a good team, and I'm sure they're feeling pretty confident. We just try to focus on us.
Q: How much easier is it playing the Penguins when Evgeni Malkin is out of the lineup?
A: I don't think it changes how you view them. They've got the depth up front and a lot of talent on the back end. Obviously, Malkin is a huge asset to their team, but it's not like they aren't still a good team. They still have a lot of talent and do a lot of great things out there. Handling them is never an easy thing. We know how good they are.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- City, Jordan Miles continue fight over legal costs
- Truck crashes into Dairy Queen, five injured in Penn Hills
- West Virginia county hears arguments on proposed smoking ban
- Rossi: Johnston must reach Malkin in Moscow
- Allegheny County public works director resigns post
- Steelers are in familiar territory going into training camp in Latrobe
- Friday’s scouting report: Pirates at Rockies
- Liriano, Snider lift Pirates to a victory over Dodgers at PNC Park
- Poverty programs would be merged
- Scientists: Earth in midst of 6th ‘mass extinction’
- White House, senators close on bill to end NSA spying