NHL notebook: NHL GMs talk visors, other issues
Published: Wednesday, March 20, 2013, 6:57 p.m.
Updated: Thursday, March 21, 2013
• The NHL Players' Association plans to canvass its membership on visors. Mathieu Schneider, a special assistant to NHLPA executive director Donald Fehr, said some 72-73 percent of NHL players wear shields. Schneider was involved in a day of meetings with NHL GMs, who talked about everything from embellishment and goalie equipment to trying to maintain the integrity of faceoffs. The NHLPA rep was part of a larger group discussion on player safety and other rules issues.
• Sabres leading scorer Thomas Vanek missed practice because of a hip injury, and it's uncertain if he'll play against the Maple Leafs on Thursday. Interim coach Ron Rolston listed Vanek as day to day one day after the player was hurt during a 3-2 overtime win at Montreal. Vanek leads Buffalo with 14 goals, 17 assists and 31 points.
• Panthers rookie Eric Selleck was suspended two games without pay for instigating a fight late in his NHL debut against Carolina. Selleck came off the bench to fight Carolina forward Kevin Westgarth with 2:58 left in the Panthers' 4-1 win Tuesday night. Selleck will forfeit $5,945.94 and will sit out games at the Rangers on Thursday night and at New Jersey on Saturday. He is eligible to return Sunday at the Islanders.
• Carolina defenseman Justin Faulk will miss two to four weeks with a sprained knee ligament. The team placed Faulk and forward Chad LaRose on injured reserve after disclosing Faulk's diagnosis and saying he will not need surgery. Faulk has three goals, seven assists and 11 penalty minutes for the Hurricanes. LaRose has been out since March 2 with a concussion. He has two goals and one assist in 19 games.
- NHL notebook: Rangers aim for another 0-2 comeback
- Red Wings take 2-1 series lead over Blackhawks
- Roy rumored to be Avalanche’s new coach
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.