NHL notebook: Leafs forward Lupul suspended for 2 games
• The NHL suspended Maple Leafs forward Joffrey Lupul for two games without pay for an illegal check to the head of Lightning defenseman Victor Hedman. The league's department of player safety issued the ruling while Toronto prepared to play Thursday at Buffalo. The hit occurred a day earlier in the third period of Toronto's 4-2 win. The suspension will cost Lupul about $46,000 in salary.
• The Hurricanes activated forward Tuomo Ruutu from the injured non-roster list and claimed former first-round draft pick Zach Boychuk off waivers. The team also placed defenseman Joe Corvo on injured reserve retroactive to March 16. Ruutu will make his season debut after sitting out since having hip surgery in December. The Hurricanes waived Boychuk in January for the purpose of sending him to their AHL affiliate in Charlotte, but he was claimed by the Penguins. After the Penguins waived him in February, he was claimed by Nashville.
• President Barack Obama will honor two championship sports teams from California at the White House on Tuesday. Obama will hold a ceremony to welcome the Stanley Cup champion Kings. He'll also honor the LA Galaxy, the championship MLS team. The White House said the teams will head to the South Lawn after the ceremony to host an exercise clinic for children.
• Defenseman Andrej Sustr, an undrafted free agent who just completed his third season with Nebraska-Omaha, signed a two-year entry-level deal with the Lightning, according to NHL.com.
• The Flyers agreed to terms with college free agent Kyle Flanagan on a one-year entry-level contract, NHL.com reported. The center from St. Lawrence University was named a finalist for the Hobey Baker Award as the top collegiate player this season.
— Wire reports
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- NHL notebook: Jets acquire defenseman Harrison from Hurricanes
- NHL notebook: Predators’ Neal fined $2,000 for embellishment
- NHL notebook: Red Wings’ Weiss sits again with shoulder injury
- NHL notebook: Senators fire coach MacLean
- NHL notebook: Red Wings’ Babcock denies he will sign contract extension