NHL notebook: Stars send ex-Penguin Morrow to AHL affiliate
• DefensemanMatt Bartkowski, a Mt. Lebanon native, signed a one-year, one-way contract extension through next year with the Boston Bruins. The deal is worth $650,000. Bartkowski, 24, was recalled Friday on an emergency basis following an injury to Johnny Boychuk. Bartkowski, a seventh-round pick of the Panthers in 2008, has no points in 11 career games.
• The Dallas Stars sent forward Reilly Smith and newly acquired defenseman Joe Morrow to their AHL affiliate. The moves came two days after the Stars sent longtime captain Brenden Morrow to the Penguins for Joe Morrow in a trade that also involved draft picks. The 21-year-old Smith has six points in 28 games with Dallas this season. He has 27 points for the Texas Stars this season. The 20-year-old Joe Morrow had 15 points in 57 games for the Penguins' AHL affiliate in Wilkes-Barre/Scranton.
• The Carolina Hurricanes placed forwards Jussi Jokinen and Tim Wallace on waivers. The team made those moves Tuesday before its home game against the Winnipeg Jets. Jokinen had five goals and five assists in 30 games with the Hurricanes. He is in the second year of a three-year contract that pays him $3 million per season.
• President Barack Obama welcomed the Los Angeles Kings of the NHL and the Los Angeles Galaxy of Major League Soccer for simultaneous celebrations of their titles in the East Room. Obama said both Los Angeles teams have remarkable comeback stories, but he said he wished his hometown of Chicago were winning championships.
• Longtime NHL assistant coach Wayne Fleming died at 62. Hockey Canada said Fleming died Monday in Calgary, Alberta, after a battle with brain cancer. Fleming spent 14 seasons in the NHL as an assistant coach with the Islanders, Coyotes, Flyers, Flames, Oilers and Lightning.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- NHL notebook: St. Louis retires after 16-year career
- Beaver County daughter, terminally ill mom bond through Penguins hockey
- NHLnotebook: Islanders pick Chinese defenseman in draft
- NHL notebook: Kings terminate Richards’ contract
- Rossi: Bettman boo birds miss big picture
- NHL notebook: 3-on-3 OT made official
- NHL notebook: Bruins trade Lucic to Kings
- Blackhawks deal Gibsonia native Saad to Blue Jackets