NHL notebook: Stars send ex-Penguin Morrow to AHL affiliate
• Defenseman Matt Bartkowski, a Mt. Lebanon native, signed a one-year, one-way contract extension through next year with the Boston Bruins. The deal is worth $650,000. Bartkowski, 24, was recalled Friday on an emergency basis following an injury to Johnny Boychuk. Bartkowski, a seventh-round pick of the Panthers in 2008, has no points in 11 career games.
• The Dallas Stars sent forward Reilly Smith and newly acquired defenseman Joe Morrow to their AHL affiliate. The moves came two days after the Stars sent longtime captain Brenden Morrow to the Penguins for Joe Morrow in a trade that also involved draft picks. The 21-year-old Smith has six points in 28 games with Dallas this season. He has 27 points for the Texas Stars this season. The 20-year-old Joe Morrow had 15 points in 57 games for the Penguins' AHL affiliate in Wilkes-Barre/Scranton.
• The Carolina Hurricanes placed forwards Jussi Jokinen and Tim Wallace on waivers. The team made those moves Tuesday before its home game against the Winnipeg Jets. Jokinen had five goals and five assists in 30 games with the Hurricanes. He is in the second year of a three-year contract that pays him $3 million per season.
• President Barack Obama welcomed the Los Angeles Kings of the NHL and the Los Angeles Galaxy of Major League Soccer for simultaneous celebrations of their titles in the East Room. Obama said both Los Angeles teams have remarkable comeback stories, but he said he wished his hometown of Chicago were winning championships.
• Longtime NHL assistant coach Wayne Fleming died at 62. Hockey Canada said Fleming died Monday in Calgary, Alberta, after a battle with brain cancer. Fleming spent 14 seasons in the NHL as an assistant coach with the Islanders, Coyotes, Flyers, Flames, Oilers and Lightning.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers to bring LB Harrison out of retirement
- PennDOT puts 14 Alle-Kiski Valley bridges on list to be replaced
- Freeport dock bid exceeds resources
- Harrison OKs antenna zoning change
- Steelers defense must replace three injured starters after victory
- Liriano, McCutchen help Pirates to 1-0 win over Braves
- Flag holders stolen off veterans’ graves in Lower Burrell cemetery
- Apollo-Ridge middle school library project gains STEAM
- Red Wings beat Penguins, 2-1, in preseason opener
- Cloverleaf bridge work to resume after change
- Pirates notebook: Volquez open to re-signing with team