NHL notebook: Vlasic fined for slashing Heatley
• Sharks defenseman Marc-Edouard Vlasic was fined for slashing Minnesota's Dany Heatley. The NHL fined Vlasic $8,378.38 for the infraction at the end of Wednesday's 4-2 victory over the Wild. Vlasic and Heatley were jostling in the closing seconds of the game. After Vlasic delivered a cross check, Heatley responded by swinging his stick at Vlasic. He missed, and Vlasic retaliated and hit Heatley with his stick. The Wild were upset after the game because Heatley was hurt. But the NHL said the injury came in the ensuing scrum and not from the slash.
• The Flames signed goaltender Laurent Brossoit to a three-year contract. Brossoit was voted the CHL Goaltender of the Week on Tuesday after helping the Edmonton Oil Kings reach the second round of the Western Hockey League playoffs. He finished the WHL regular season third in goals-against average (2.25), sixth in save percentage (.917) and seventh in wins (33) and shutouts (five).
• The Ducks signed high-scoring forward Steven Whitney to a two-year, entry-level contract. Whitney spent the past four seasons at Boston College. Whitney was one of the nation's best available undrafted free agents after scoring 45 points in 38 games for the Eagles this season, ranking second in the nation with 26 goals. Boston College won two NCAA titles and all four Beanpot tournaments during Whitney's career. The Massachusetts native scored 128 points in 160 career games. Whitney likely is headed to the Ducks' AHL affiliate in Norfolk.
• Vincent Lecavalier returned to the Tampa Bay lineup Thursday. He missed nine games with an unspecified lower-body injury, and Tampa Bay went 4-4-1 in his absence. This will be Lecavalier's first game under new coach Jon Cooper, who was hired March 25 to replace the fired Guy Boucher.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Wedding aboard Pittsburgh’s Gateway Clipper ends in arrests
- Unlike years past, strength of 2014 Steelers could be offense
- Steelers Lookahead: Previewing Sunday’s game vs. Cleveland
- Campus visit sells 4-star Ohio recruit Hall on Panthers
- Harrison rejects criticism of disorderly conduct ordinance
- Ford City explores beefing up code enforcement
- Nearing 25 years together, WPXI anchors Johnson, Finnegan defy odds
- RX Fit brings cross-training to Ford City
- Housing market remains ‘disaster’ in Westmoreland County
- Western Pa. districts aim to win back students from cyber charters
- Steelers notebook: Polamalu made 1st-time captain; Roethlisberger named for offense