NHL roundup: Bruins pound struggling 'Canes
BOSTON — Brad Marchand scored two goals, and Tuukka Rask stopped 40 shots, leading the Bruins to a 6-2 victory over the struggling Hurricanes on Monday night.
Rich Peverley, Andrew Ference, Jordan Caron and Nathan Horton each added a goal, and defenseman Dennis Seidenberg established a career-high with three assists for Boston, which moved a point behind Montreal in the Northeast Division.
The Bruins won for the fourth time in five games by scoring a season-high in goals after dropping a 2-1 decision at the rival Canadiens on Saturday.
Maple Leafs 4, Rangers 3 — In Toronto, Phil Kessel scored twice to lead Toronto in the first game of an important home-and-home series between the Eastern Conference rivals.
Toronto (22-13-4) remained fifth in the Eastern Conference standings.
The Rangers (19-16-4) remain tied with the idle Islanders for seventh in the Eastern Conference with 42 points.
Ducks 2, Oilers 1 — In Anaheim, Calif., Radek Dvorak scored two goals, Jonas Hiller made 27 saves after missing four games because of an illness, and Anaheim inched closer to the Pacific Division title.
Canucks 2, Coyotes 0 — In Vancouver, British Columbia, Ryan Kesler scored, Dam Hamhuis added an empty-netter, and Cory Schneider made 19 saves to lead Vancouver.
Flames 3, Avalanche 1 — In Denver, Mike Cammalleri broke a second-period tie, and Joey MacDonald stopped 39 shots, helping the Flames snap a 13-game road winless streak.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Unlike years past, strength of 2014 Steelers could be offense
- Wedding aboard Pittsburgh’s Gateway Clipper ends in arrests
- Steelers Lookahead: Previewing Sunday’s game vs. Cleveland
- East Allegheny teachers to hit the picket lines
- Love locks tokens fall prey to renovations on Pittsburgh bridges
- Homestead to celebrate one of its own at jazz festival
- Flexible-use building in the works for Duquesne
- Campus visit sells 4-star Ohio recruit Hall on Panthers
- Housing market remains ‘disaster’ in Westmoreland County
- Pa. judge identified who denied Trib request to view sexually explicit emails circulated in AG’s Office
- Steelers notebook: Polamalu made 1st-time captain; Roethlisberger named for offense