PuckSpeak: Penguins' Johnston says goalies' sterling play continues to impress
Penguins senior advisor for hockey operations Eddie Johnston speaks with Trib reporter Josh Yohe.
Q: Is Marc-Andre Fleury underappreciated because of the great offensive talent on his team?
A: I don't think there is any question about it. He's just got so much ability, he really does. He's right up there with anyone right now. He's been to the Stanley Cup Final twice, he's won a Cup. He's got a great attitude to go with all that ability. And you know what the best thing about Marc is? He's still so young (28). He's going to be around for many more years.
Q: How do you feel about Dan Bylsma's usage of Fleury and Tomas Vokoun?
A: I really like it. Danny deserves a ton of credit for the job he's done this year, and that includes how he's handled those two. Bringing in Vokoun was really a big deal. It's huge. He's a veteran guy, he's been through the wars before, and he's still playing really well. (General manager) Ray Shero made a heck of a move when he got that guy, he really did. That's a move that I don't think people can overlook. He's that good. Having him and Marc together has just been terrific for the team.
Q: This organization remains quite special to you, doesn't it?
A: Oh, it really does. Let me tell you, it starts at the top with the big guy, Mr. Lemieux. He's a special guy, and he makes people want to be in this organization. Mario and Ron Burke have really done a first-class job with this team. It's going to get to the point where everyone wants to play in Pittsburgh, and it's because of them. Look at the new building, and look at those dressing rooms they've got now. Who wouldn't want to come here to play? And getting to sit with (former general manager) Jack Riley the other night was great. He's still sharp as a tack. Still knows the game so well. I picked him up before the game the other night and drove him to the building. We had a great time.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Consol Energy cutting retiree health benefits, phasing out pension
- Fans flock to what they hope will continue ‘magical season’
- Jobs on state website include ‘private party dancing,’ ‘car dates’
- Lawmaker warns restaurant inspection grades would violate state law
- Steelers notebook: Tomlin bringing officials to practice
- Steelers’ Tomlin does not like his coaching style to be characterized
- Penguins notebook: Crosby ‘confident’ despite limited preseason time
- Attorney General seeks halt in Conneaut Lake Park sheriff’s sale
- Groups sponsor candidates forum in Monessen
- Penguins notebook: Malkin picture muddy
- Former Steelers doctor loses bid for Miranda protection