NHL notebook: Toronto's Fraser has surgery for broken bone in face
Toronto defenseman Mark Fraser had surgery Thursday to repair a broken bone after being hit in the face with a puck during Boston's 4-3 victory over the Maple Leafs in Game 4 of their first-round playoff series.
Toronto coach Randy Carlyle said Fraser was resting at home and was texting and talking to his teammates Thursday morning.
Fraser, who does not wear a visor, left the ice after being hit by Milan Lucic's shot in the overtime loss to the Bruins on Wednesday night. The Bruins can advance to the Eastern Conference semifinals with a victory in Game 5 on Friday night in Boston.
• Predators goalie Pekka Rinne had arthroscopic surgery on his left hip and will need approximately four months to recover. General manager David Poile said Thursday that Rinne had surgery Wednesday to correct a situation team officials were aware of last. Rinne tied for second in the NHL with 43 appearances in the lockout-shortened season, tied for fourth with 42 starts and ranked sixth in minutes played (2,443:46). The 6-foot-5, 204-pound Finn tied for the NHL-lead with five shutouts.
• A person familiar with the decisions confirmed the Sabres have fired assistant coaches James Patrick and Kevyn Adams. The changes come two days after Ron Rolston took over as head coach. Rolston closed the season as the Sabres interim coach after Lindy Ruff was fired in February.
• Canadiens goaltender Carey Price will miss the rest of first-round playoff series with the Ottawa Senators because of a lower-body injury. The team announced the decision Thursday before Game 5, with Montreal trailing, 3-1, and facing possible elimination. Price has struggled during the series and appeared to hurt his groin late in regulation of Game 4. With Price out, Peter Budaj made his first career playoff start. Robert Mayer of the AHL Hamilton Bulldogs is his backup.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- WPIAL Class AAAA notebook: Pine-Richland has titles in 3 classifications
- The holiday season ushers in the gift of another layer of fashion — the coat
- Author DeKok’s ‘Murder in the Stacks’ looks at Penn State student’s 1969 killing
- Pine-Richland tops defending champ Central Catholic to capture WPIAL title
- Tire comes off, hits oncoming car, kills 1 on Route 28
- Air Force reservist apparently settles firing lawsuit against U.S. Steel
- Former youth volunteer facing federal child pornography charges
- Report lays out red flags, failures in rearing of shooter at Conn. school
- Dick Cavett memoir looks back on more than TV show
- The Word Guy: In formal prose, rely on ‘pleaded,’ not ‘pled’
- Carnegie boy gets to be mayor for a day