NHL notebook: Seguin says Twitter slur came from hackers
• Recently acquired Stars forward Tyler Seguin says an anti-gay comment that showed up on his Twitter account came from “hackers.” The Stars said in a statement Sunday that they had “addressed the issue directly” with Seguin. The tweet showed up on his account Saturday and was quickly removed. Seguin posted an apology on Twitter and said he was temporarily shutting down his account because of “repeated attempts by ‘hackers' to try to damage my reputation.” The 21-year-old Seguin was traded to Dallas by Boston on Thursday, just days after Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli criticized the No. 2 pick in the 2010 draft as needing to be a “better pro.” Dallas made the seven-player deal because it needs centers, and Seguin figures to be on the Stars' first line.
• The Sabres continued to revamp their defense by reacquiring Henrik Tallinder from the Devils for prospect Riley Boychuk. Tallinder, 34, spent the past three years with the Devils after spending parts of eight seasons with the Sabres. Tallinder entered the NHL as a second-round draft pick of the Sabres in 1997. He played in 25 games last year, posting one goal and three assists. Boychuk was a seventh-round pick of Buffalo in 2010.
• The Ducks signed left wing Matt Beleskey to a two-year contract extension through 2014-15. He had eight goals, five assists and 56 penalty minutes in 42 games with Anaheim last season. The 25-year-old winger led the club in hits with 103 and was tied for seventh in goals. He was selected in the fourth round of the 2006 NHL Entry Draft by the Ducks, and he has 26 goals, 30 assists and 199 penalty minutes in 209 career games with them.
• The Canucks signed veteran left wing Pascal Pelletier. The 30-year-old forward has appeared in 13 career NHL games with the Blackhawks and Bruins.
— Wire reports
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penguins see Stars, blanked by Dallas in opening game
- Mt. Pleasant school board to discuss website plan
- Plans for Excela orthopedic center move forward
- Big games all around the area
- Sluggish wage growth may sap retail spending during winter holidays
- Roundup: GM recalls SUVs, tells owners not to use windshield wipers; Airlines post better on-time rate but get more complaints; more
- LaBar: Why NXT shouldn’t be compared to RAW
- Bullskin Township/Connellsville Township authority seeks contractor for sewer line
- Charleroi, Bentworth keep winning
- Starkey: Pirates gaining bad big-game rep
- Road issues broached in Springfield Township