NHL notebook: Bruins goalie Rask signs 8-year contract
• Bruins goalie Tuukka Rask signed an eight-year, $56 million contract to stay with Boston. The signing Wednesday comes after Rask finished his first full season as a starter with a strong playoff performance. The Bruins lost the Stanley Cup Final in six games to the Blackhawks. Rask was 19-10-5 with a 2.00 goals-against average in the regular season. In the postseason, he had a 1.88 goals-against average.
• Vancouver will become the third Canadian city to host a regular-season NHL game outdoors when the Canucks play the Senators at BC Place next season in the 2014 Heritage Classic. Edmonton hosted Montreal in the original Heritage Classic in 2003 in the NHL's first outdoor regular-season game. Calgary hosted the Canadiens in the 2011 edition. The March 2 game in Vancouver will be the first played in a retractable-roof facility.
• The Capitals signed defenseman Karl Alzner to a four-year, $11.2 million contract extension. He had one goal and four assists last season and ranked second in blocked shots.
• The Devils re-signed defenseman Marek Zidlicky. Acquired from Minnesota in February 2012, Zidlicky helped the Devils reach the Stanley Cup Final that season. The native of the Czech Republic had four goals and 15 assists last season when New Jersey failed to make the postseason.
• The Blues traded winger David Perron to the Oilers for winger Magnus Paajarvi and a 2014 second-round draft pick. Perron, 25, had 10 goals and 15 assists in 48 games for St. Louis last season. Paajarvi had nine goals and seven assists in 42 games for the Oilers last season.
• The Ducks signed former Penguins defenseman Alex Grant to a one-year contract through the 2013-14 season. Grant was acquired by Anaheim from the Penguins in exchange for left wing Harry Zolnierczyk on June 24.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Truck accident closes all inbound lanes of Parkway West
- State Supreme Court Justice McCaffery sent explicit emails
- West Newton man found dead in helicopter wreckage near Rostraver Airport
- Rossi: Pirates can’t waste McCutchen’s prime
- Giants’ Crawford makes history with slam
- Penguins release Carcillo from tryout contract
- East Huntingdon man dies following police chase
- Giants, Bumgarner shut out Pirates in wild-card game
- Penguins’ Sutter is determined to keep scoring pressure on
- Takacs Quartet excels in Haydn, Debussy
- Steelers pressing to create opportunities to get to quarterback