Rangers captain Callahan out with broken thumb
• Rangers captain Ryan Callahan is sidelined again, this time because of a broken thumb. Callahan, who missed the season opener while recovering from shoulder surgery, will be out three to four weeks, the Rangers said Thursday. Callahan was injured in New York's 2-0 win at Washington on Wednesday night, in which he scored his third goal of the season — all in the past two games. He has played in five games for the Rangers (2-4). New York recalled forward Darroll Powe and goalie Jason Missiaen from Hartford of the AHL and assigned goalie Cam Talbot back to Hartford.
• Sabres forward Patrick Kaleta is appealing a 10-game suspension the NHL issued for an illegal check to the head of Blue Jackets defenseman Jack Johnson last week. The appeal was filed Wednesday evening by the NHL Players' Association on the player's behalf. The league hasn't yet announced when the appeal will be heard. If the suspension is upheld, Kaleta would have the option to take his case to neutral discipline arbitrator James Oldham. Kaleta will have served four games of the suspension after sitting out Buffalo's home game against Vancouver on Thursday.
• Blues forward Maxim Lapierre is scheduled for an in-person sitdown at the NHL Department of Player Safety on Friday. He accepted the invitation under a collective bargaining agreement provision that affords players the opportunity for a face-to-face hearing for suspensions that might exceed five games. Lapierre must sit out pending the hearing. Under review is the major penalty for checking Sharks defenseman Dan Boyle behind the play in Tuesday's game at Scottrade Center.
— Wire reports
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Harrison shines again as Pirates clip Reds, 2-1
- Steelers claim former Cowboys cornerback Webb
- Veteran Keisel settles into role with Steelers
- Tall ship makes return voyage to Presque Isle
- Putin calls for exit corridor for Ukrainian troops trapped in southeast
- Secret judicial ruling blocks release of sexually explicit emails
- Pirates notebook: Lambo called up to replace ailing Snider
- Pitt’s obscure opener still matters
- NFL notebook: Seahawks part ways with Jeannette’s Pryor
- Consumer spending dips 0.1% in July as auto sales pull back
- Artists’ bike racks grace Cultural District