NHL notebook: Stars forward Garbutt suspended 5 games
• Stars forward Ryan Garbutt was suspended five games without pay for charging Ducks forward Dustin Penner. No penalty was called on the play in the first period of the Stars' 6-3 loss to the Ducks on Sunday.
• The Panthers placed 39-year-old goalie Tim Thomas on injured reserve, and he will miss weekend games against the Sabres and Lightning. Thomas left the Panthers' 3-2 shootout loss to the Blackhawks on Tuesday with less than three minutes to play in regulation because of a groin injury.
• Rangers goalie Henrik Lundqvist will not dress for the team's game Thursday against the Flyers, coach Alain Vigneault said. Cam Talbot will make his NHL debut Thursday, and Jason Missiaen will be the backup. Neither has played in an NHL game. Lundqvist has what the team is calling a “minor issue.”
• Cory Schneider appears to have supplanted veteran Martin Brodeur as the Devils' starting goaltender. Schneider will start his third straight game Thursday when the Devils host to the Canucks, his former team.
• Wild defenseman Jonas Brodin , who was struck in the face by a puck in the first period Tuesday against the Predators, is out indefinitely with a broken cheekbone.
• Sean Monahan will stay with the Flames instead of returning to his junior club. Calgary selected the 19-year-old sixth overall in the 2013 draft.
• The Maple Leafs sent forward Josh Leivo to the AHL to make room for winger David Clarkson , who will return after a 10-game suspension for leaving the bench during a preseason altercation against the Sabres. Clarkson, who signed a four-year deal with the Maple Leafs in the offseason, will make his regular-season debut Friday in Columbus.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Cardinal Wuerl North Catholic High School has interim principal
- Rookie Bryant sparks deep passing game for Steelers in victory
- Steelers use 3 late first-half TDs to stun Texans
- Bill Clinton to campaign next week for Tom Wolf in Pittsburgh
- Chevron’s $20M to improve Pennsylvania workforce
- 12-year-old’s donated heart joins families, lets her memory live
- Steelers notebook: Adams replaces concussed Gilbert
- Seven in custody after New Kensington drug raid
- Rossi: Steelers’ season all about going big
- Bortuzzo could provide much-needed physical presence for Penguins
- Sheriff’s sale delayed for historic Conneaut Lake Park