Around the NHL: Veteran defenseman Aucoin retires after 17 seasons
• Veteran defenseman Adrian Aucoin is retiring after 17 seasons in the NHL. The 40-year-old Aucoin, who played last season for the Blue Jackets, recorded 121 goals and 278 assists in 1,108 NHL games. He also played for the Canucks, Lightning, Islanders, Blackhawks, Flames and Coyotes. Aucoin scored his first NHL goal on his first shot in his first regular-season game May 3, 1995. He played for Boston University and was drafted by the Canucks 117th overall in 1992.
• Rick Nash was back in the Rangers' lineup after the star forward missed 17 games because of a concussion. Nash passed his final test Tuesday when he skated with his teammates before their game against the Bruins. Nash was skating — mostly on his own — the past two weeks after his symptoms subsided.
• The NHL's 2014 Winter Classic officially is sold out. NHL and Red Wings executives made the announcement Tuesday, saying some single tickets are available. The Red Wings and Maple Leafs are expected play in front of 107,000-plus people on New Year's Day at Michigan Stadium in Ann Arbor.
• Hurricanes forward Alexander Semin is out indefinitely with a concussion, coach Kirk Muller said. Semin was injured Saturday during the Hurricanes' 4-2 loss to the Blues on a hit by Blues defenseman Alex Pietrangelo. Semin returned to the ice briefly after the hit but left the game for good in the second period. The 29-year-old was out of the lineup Monday against the Bruins. Semin has three goals and six assists in 20 games this season.
— Wire reports
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers film session: Harrison on the field often
- Mental health facility won’t take Franklin Regional stabbing suspect as patient
- McKeesport educator honored by nomination for Athena Award
- Steelers are vowing to fix the costly penalties, lack of self-discipline
- Pennsylvania slapped with another debt downgrade
- At least $100,000 in appliances stolen from new homes around Western Pa.
- Kittanning girls soccer battles through low roster numbers
- Latest loss has Panthers looking for answers
- Corbett: Downtown project will ‘make a huge difference’ in Pittsburgh
- It’s official: Volquez to start Wednesday for Pirates
- Fishing license fee decrease considered