Around the NHL: Flames fire GM Feaster, assistant GM
• Jay Feaster was fired as general manager of the Flames on Thursday, with the team in next-to-last place in the Western Conference. Assistant GM John Weisbrod also was let go. Brian Burke, the team's president of hockey operations, will serve as acting general manager. Burke said the moves were needed to get the franchise back on track toward a championship. “I wouldn't have come here if that wasn't the ultimate goal,” he said. Burke was hired by the Flames in early September. Calgary took an 11-15-4 record into Thursday night's home game against the Hurricanes.
• The Hurricanes have activated forward Alexander Semin from injured reserve. Semin was in the lineup for Thursday night's at Calgary. Semin missed 12 games with a concussion suffered Nov. 16 at St. Louis. At the time of his injury, he shared the team lead with six assists and was tied for second with nine points.
• A group wants Columbus, Ohio, residents to vote on whether the city should be paying for the Blue Jackets' home arena, and it has collected enough signatures to get the issue on the May ballot. That means voters will be asked whether to end the city's purchase contract for Nationwide Arena, home of the Columbus Blue Jackets.
• Coyotes captain Shane Doan remains out, though the exact issue keeping him off the ice hasn't been revealed. Coach Dave Tippett said it could keep the Coyotes' leading scorer out for a while. “He's still under the weather, and he's still not going to be available for the foreseeable future,” Tippett said, according to NHL.com. “He's still getting some tests done.”
— Wire reports
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rossi: Pirates must land Lester
- Steelers notebook: Brown calls Sanders’ comments about Roethlisberger ‘terrible’
- Joe Greene only 2nd player in Steelers history to get number retired
- Pirates notebook: Trade rumors for Red Sox pitcher Lester still swirling
- Steelers hold high hopes for pass defense
- After years of lobbying, Big Ben has Steelers running the no-huddle
- Beloved teacher at 3 Western Pa. schools hears from students across nation
- Blairsville bar, adjacent building on fire
- Former Shady Side Academy standout set to take field for Pitt
- Pirates manage to stumble on the bases in bid for sweep of Giants
- Proposed Mt. Pleasant VFW relocation site faces a backlash