Around the NHL: Red Wings goaltender Jimmy Howard out with sprained knee
• Red Wings goalie Jimmy Howard is expected to miss two to four weeks with a sprained knee. The team said Howard has a sprained MCL. The injury could affect Howard's chances to make the U.S. team for next year's Olympics in Russia. Howard is 6-8-7 with a 2.65 goals-against average this season. Backup Jonas Gustavsson is 8-1-2 with a 1.93 GAA.
• Flyers forward Brayden Schenn was fined $2,230.77, the maximum allowed, for cross-checking Blackhawks forward Kris Versteeg. The hit happened in Wednesday's game in Chicago, midway through the second period of Philadelphia's 7-2 loss. No penalty was called.
• Maple Leafs right wing David Clarkson will have a hearing with the NHL Department of Player Safety on Saturday morning for an illegal check to the head of Blues left wing Vladimir Sobotka on Thursday night. Clarkson was assessed a two-minute minor for the play.
• The Blue Jackets have added goaltender Jeremy Smith from their Springfield, Mass., affiliate in the American Hockey League. Goaltender Curtis McElhinney, who left Thursday's 4-2 win at the Rangers, is day-to-day due to a lower body injury. Also, defenseman James Wisniewski has been placed on injured reserve retroactive to Dec. 6 with an upper-body injury.
• Jamal Mayers, the checking forward who played last season for the Stanley Cup champion Chicago Blackhawks, retired from the NHL on Friday after 14 seasons. Mayers played 915 regular-season games with St. Louis, Toronto, Calgary, San Jose and Chicago.
— Wire reports
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rossi: Pirates must land Lester
- Wiz Khalifa’s life not the same, but he’s still having fun
- Steelers notebook: Brown calls Sanders’ comments about Roethlisberger ‘terrible’
- Steelers hold high hopes for pass defense
- Pirates notebook: Trade rumors for Red Sox pitcher Lester still swirling
- Joe Greene only 2nd player in Steelers history to get number retired
- After years of lobbying, Big Ben has Steelers running the no-huddle
- U.S. Steel looks to expand its Research & Technology Center in Munhall
- ‘Bangerz’ tour a long way from ‘Hannah Montana’ for Miley Cyrus
- Beloved teacher at 3 Western Pa. schools hears from students across nation
- Fire causes Blairsville bar to collapse, flames spread to neighboring building