NHL notebook: Sabres narrow GM search
• The Sabres narrowed their general manager search to four candidates, including Bruins assistant GM Jim Benning and Senators assistant GM Tim Murray, a person familiar with the process told the Associated Press on Tuesday. The person spoke on the condition of anonymity because the Sabres have not revealed their list of candidates to succeed Darcy Regier, who was fired in November. The two other finalists were not revealed. Another candidate linked to the job is Maple Leafs assistant GM Claude Loiselle.
• The Hurricanes have been shut down by a blizzard. The NHL postponed the game scheduled for Tuesday night in Buffalo between the Sabres and Carolina because of a snowstorm in western New York. A makeup date has not been determined. The postponement comes with Buffalo dealing with a wintry blast of near-zero temperatures. The last time the Sabres had a game postponed was at Buffalo against New Jersey on Dec. 6, 2000.
• Blackhawks goaltender Nikolai Khabibulin had surgery Tuesday to repair a torn rotator cuff in his right shoulder and will be out 4-5 months. The Blackhawks called the surgery successful. Team Dr. Michael Terry says the injury was becoming problematic, but a full recovering is expected. The 40-year-old Khabibulin has played in four games with the Blackhawks this season (1-0-1).
• Sharks forward Logan Couture will undergo surgery Wednesday for an upper-body injury. General manager Doug Wilson said Tuesday that Couture has been playing with the injury for several weeks and decided to have surgery when it did not respond as hoped.
• The Canadiens announced that center Alex Galchenyuk will miss the next six weeks with a broken hand.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Woman sought in robbery in Unity
- Protesters march on Oakland streets
- France’s South West provides much for wine lovers to discover
- NFL notebook: Bills will play at home Sunday
- Year’s final North Huntingdon yard waste pickup set for December
- Feds accused of bullying state over police test
- Steelers notebook: Defense tasked with stopping Graham
- Oil prices continue descent, dragging market indexes lower
- Florida high school prostitution ring busted
- A la carte: Turkey rescue and tips
- Bars bulge at the seams night before Thanksgiving