NHL notebook: Sabres narrow GM search
• The Sabres narrowed their general manager search to four candidates, including Bruins assistant GM Jim Benning and Senators assistant GM Tim Murray, a person familiar with the process told the Associated Press on Tuesday. The person spoke on the condition of anonymity because the Sabres have not revealed their list of candidates to succeed Darcy Regier, who was fired in November. The two other finalists were not revealed. Another candidate linked to the job is Maple Leafs assistant GM Claude Loiselle.
• The Hurricanes have been shut down by a blizzard. The NHL postponed the game scheduled for Tuesday night in Buffalo between the Sabres and Carolina because of a snowstorm in western New York. A makeup date has not been determined. The postponement comes with Buffalo dealing with a wintry blast of near-zero temperatures. The last time the Sabres had a game postponed was at Buffalo against New Jersey on Dec. 6, 2000.
• Blackhawks goaltender Nikolai Khabibulin had surgery Tuesday to repair a torn rotator cuff in his right shoulder and will be out 4-5 months. The Blackhawks called the surgery successful. Team Dr. Michael Terry says the injury was becoming problematic, but a full recovering is expected. The 40-year-old Khabibulin has played in four games with the Blackhawks this season (1-0-1).
• Sharks forward Logan Couture will undergo surgery Wednesday for an upper-body injury. General manager Doug Wilson said Tuesday that Couture has been playing with the injury for several weeks and decided to have surgery when it did not respond as hoped.
• The Canadiens announced that center Alex Galchenyuk will miss the next six weeks with a broken hand.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Unlike years past, strength of 2014 Steelers could be offense
- Wedding aboard Pittsburgh’s Gateway Clipper ends in arrests
- Steelers Lookahead: Previewing Sunday’s game vs. Cleveland
- Campus visit sells 4-star Ohio recruit Hall on Panthers
- Steelers notebook: Polamalu made 1st-time captain; Roethlisberger named for offense
- Dominion, Duke to build $5B natural gas pipeline from WV to NC
- Love locks tokens fall prey to renovations on Pittsburgh bridges
- Nearing 25 years together, WPXI anchors Johnson, Finnegan defy odds
- Ohio offensive lineman verbally commits to Pitt
- Western Pa. districts aim to win back students from cyber charters
- Housing market remains ‘disaster’ in Westmoreland County