NHL notebook: Sabres GM shopping goalie Miller, says AP source
• A person familiar with discussions told the Associated Press that Sabres GM Tim Murray continues to pursue offers for goalie Ryan Miller with the intention of dealing him before the NHL trade deadline March 5. The person spoke on the condition of anonymity because Murray did not speak to reporters Monday. The person said the team's first option is trading Miller, who is in the final year of his contract. Option No. 2 would be making a bid to re-sign Miller if a trade can't be completed. Miller was not at Sabres practice Monday because the United States backup goalie was traveling from the Sochi Games.
• Alex Ovechkin will resume practice with the Capitals on Tuesday after a disappointing Olympics and a health scare involving his father. Ovechkin and the Russians were eliminated in the quarterfinals at the Winter Games last week. He then learned his father was having heart problems and required surgery.
• Injured Lightning star Steven Stamkos is recovering but not ready yet to return to the lineup. Stamkos is sitting out a four-game post-Olympic trip that starts Thursday at Nashville. Stamkos underwent X-rays on Monday that revealed that his broken right shin, which has sidelined him since November, is improving but not enough for him to be cleared to play in games.
• Former Avalanche forward Milan Hejduk is retiring from the NHL. Hejduk, 38, played 14 seasons in the NHL, all with the Avalanche. The three-time Olympian and native of the Czech Republic scored 375 goals in 1,020 games and won a Stanley Cup in 2001.
• Predators goaltender Pekka Rinne has been cleared by doctors to increase his physical activity, and now Nashville has to decide what's next for the two-time Vezina Trophy finalist.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Roundup: Mazda recalls cars to fix tire pressure monitors; Wal-Mart’s top merchant out as key holiday nears; more
- DUI checkpoints take on dangerous drivers
- Lower gasoline prices fail to spur consumer spending
- Grease in Youngwood sewer system prompts another look at rule
- No. 15 San Diego State hammers Pitt, 74-57
- Rostraver business site ordered to close
- Cancer didn’t stop mother from living for her son
- Woman sought in robbery in Unity
- Steelers’ lookahead: New Orleans Saints
- Mon Valley preparing for Small Business Saturday
- Retailers that won’t open on Thanksgiving hope move pays off