NHL notebook: Canucks ship Luongo to Panthers
Roberto Luongo thought he was untradeable. The Panthers found a way to bring him back to Florida.
After nearly eight years apart, Luongo was the centerpiece of a four-player trade between Florida and the Canucks on Tuesday. The Panthers sent goalie Jacob Markstrom — once considered their future in net — and forward Shawn Matthias to the Canucks for Luongo and forward Steven Anthony.
Markstrom's potential had been spoken about for years and he could have been a more affordable option than Luongo, whose $64 million deal doesn't expire until the end of the 2021-22 season.
• The Capitals acquired forward Dustin Penner from the Ducks, adding a candidate to play on their top line. Penner signed a one-year, $2 million contract last year. The Ducks got from the Capitals a fourth-round pick, which they then traded to acquire Stephane Robidas from the Stars. The Ducks also sent goalie Viktor Fasth to the Oilers for a 2014 fifth-round and 2015 third-round pick.
• The Capitals traded forwards Martin Erat and John Mitchell for defenseman Rostislav Klesla , forward Chris Brown and a 2015 fourth-round pick. Erat asked for a trade out of Washington in November.
• The Blackhawks acquired defensemen David Rundblad and Mathieu Brisebois from the Coyotes for a second-round pick in this year's draft.
• The Islanders traded veteran defenseman Andrew MacDonald to the rival Flyers for a pair of draft picks and minor league center Matt Mangene.
• The Wild acquired goaltender Ilya Bryzgalov from the Oilers in exchange for a fourth-round draft pick.
• The Canadiens shored up their back end by acquiring veteran defenseman Mike Weaver from the Panthers for a fifth-round pick in the 2015 draft.
• The Panthers gave potential trade chip Brad Boyes a two-year contract extension worth $2.625 million per year, TSN reported. Boyes was set to be an unrestricted free agent.
— Wire reports
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Hockey loses pair of legendary figures in Quinn, Tikhonov
- NHL notebook: Maple Leafs defenseman Polak sidelined 4 weeks with knee injury