NHL notebook: Avs lose Duchene to knee injury
Colorado center Matt Duchene left the Avalanche's game against San Jose with a left knee injury and did not return.
Duchene was hurt on the opening shift Saturday when he collided with teammate Jamie McGinn near the Sharks blue line.
He fell to the ice and then gingerly skated to the bench.
Duchene has 23 goals and a team-leading 70 points in 70 games this season.
He missed three games in November after suffering an oblique injury against Florida.
Coyotes' Smith remains out
Coyotes goalie Mike Smith won't be on the ice to test his lower-body injury until at least the end of next week, but coach Dave Tippett is hoping he will be able to return to the lineup before the end of the regular season.
Smith, who was injured late in a 4-3 overtime loss to the Rangers on Monday, is back to working out off the ice and will have his injury re-evaluated at the end of the week.
— Wire reports
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers receiver Heyward-Bey looks to make most of chance
- Steelers know fast start could be key to upcoming season
- Steelers formalize practice squad
- DEP releases details of cases of drinking well contamination from drilling
- Scientists dismiss dire outlook for Western Pennsylvania winter weather
- Pirates notebook: Bucs unlikely to make trade before deadline
- Rossi: Cole perfect pitcher to start pivotal series for Pirates
- Former Clairton, Pitt cornerback Coles enrolls at Duquesne
- University of Wisconsin researchers work to customize vegetables for specific uses
- Deer Lakes golf team winning with a workmanlike approach
- Northampton man has four major drug arrests in Western Pa. since 2009