NHL notebook: Ex-players file concussion lawsuit in New York
NEW YORK — Nine former players have sued the NHL over concussions, saying the league subjects its players to “devastating and long-term” health consequences by failing to warn players of the risks and consequences of head trauma.
Among the players are former All-Star defenseman Brad Maxwell and Jack Carlson, whose brothers starred in the film “Slapshot.”
The lawsuit in Manhattan federal court was filed late Wednesday, several months after a similar lawsuit was filed by 10 former NHL players in Washington.
Both lawsuits seek unspecified damages, along with a medical monitoring program to care for former and current NHL players.
A message for comment from an NHL spokesman was not immediately returned.
The lawsuits were filed just months after the NFL agreed to pay $765 million to settle lawsuits from thousands of former players who developed dementia or other concussion-related health problems. That settlement is awaiting a judge's approval.
Report: Shanahan to join Maple Leafs front office
NHL senior vice president of player safety Brendan Shanahan will leave his job with the league to join the Maple Leafs as president, according to multiple reports.
An official announcement could come Friday, a source told ESPN.com.
Red Wings recall goalie Coreau from ECHL
The Red Wings recalled goalie Jared Coreau from Toledo of the ECHL.
The 22-year-old Coreau signed with the Red Wings last summer after a three-year career at Northern Michigan. In 76 games with the Wildcats from 2010-13, he went 32-31-8 with a 2.74 goals-against average.
Coreau has appeared in 19 games with Toledo as a first-year pro, going 1-12-5 with a 4.10 GAA.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Distracted Steelers show nothing in loss to Eagles
- A fullback last season, Steel Valley’s Freeman takes over under center for Ironmen
- Duquesne City School District set to dive into Common Core
- West Mifflin prepares for first day of school
- Kittanning’s Durkac reaches destination
- LaBar: Hulk Hogan wants to fight Brock Lesnar?
- NFL could delay punishment
- Kiss’ makeup has changed, but their impact remains strong
- Youngwood shelter removes 44 dogs, 9 cats from shuttered Fayette SPCA
- Skiles hopes 3rd time’s a charm at Bentworth
- Google Maps opens business doors to online views for shoppers