NHL notebook: Flyers' goalie Mason will miss another 3rd consecutive start
Ray Emery will make his third straight start for injured goalie Steve Mason when the Flyers host the Rangers in Game 3 of their playoff series Tuesday night.
Mason said he won't dress for the game, and his status for the series remains iffy because of an upper-body injury. Mason shared practice time with Emery on Monday.
“The more frequently you play, the more comfortable you are in net,” Emery said. “I appreciate being in there in consecutive games. I'm kind of a Band-Aid there while Mase gets better.”
Emery was excellent in Sunday's 4-2 comeback win at Madison Square Garden that tied the best-of-seven, first-round series at 1-1.
Emery made 31 saves in Game 2 to win his first postseason game anywhere in exactly three years for Anaheim at Nashville. Mason hasn't played since he was injured in a collision in the April 12.
“Right now, the way Razor's playing, there's no hurry,” Mason said.
“He's the reason we won yesterday, so I think even if I was ready there's no reason to take him out right now.”
• The Wild switched goalies for Game 3 of their playoff series against the Avalanche, giving Darcy Kuemper the start instead of Ilya Bryzgalov. Coach Mike Yeo confirmed the change after the pregame morning skate Monday. Yeo pulled Bryzgalov for Kuemper midway through the second period Saturday when the Wild fell behind 3-1. The Wild won Game 3, 1-0, in overtime.
• Blues center David Backes was out for Game 3 against the Blackhawks because of an upper-body injury. St. Louis, however, welcomed the return of Patrik Berglund for Monday night's game against the Stanley Cup champions, who trail in the playoff series 2-0. Berglund missed three games, also with an upper-body injury. Backes was wiped out by a big hit from Blackhawks defenseman Brent Seabrook in the third period of St. Louis' 4-3 overtime victory Saturday. The captain was helped off the ice and did not return.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers QB Roethlisberger not targeting Oct. 25 return
- Johnstown man accused of sexual misconduct at state park
- Cat found shot with arrow in Penn Township expected to survive
- Steelers notebook: Tomlin not worried about Jones’ lack of sacks
- EU offers to ease Turkey’s refugee burden
- Charges pending in Butler County Rottweiler attack
- Penguins rally in wake of Dupuis injury
- Westmoreland subsidy that helps finance Spirit Airlines draws scrutiny
- Allegheny County budget proposal sidesteps tax increase, boosts jail spending
- Hampton’s Balish, GCC’s Zambruno capture WPIAL girls golf titles
- Wolf still seeking to raise income tax, impose tax on shale-gas drilling