NHL notebook: Flyers' goalie Mason will miss another 3rd consecutive start
Ray Emery will make his third straight start for injured goalie Steve Mason when the Flyers host the Rangers in Game 3 of their playoff series Tuesday night.
Mason said he won't dress for the game, and his status for the series remains iffy because of an upper-body injury. Mason shared practice time with Emery on Monday.
“The more frequently you play, the more comfortable you are in net,” Emery said. “I appreciate being in there in consecutive games. I'm kind of a Band-Aid there while Mase gets better.”
Emery was excellent in Sunday's 4-2 comeback win at Madison Square Garden that tied the best-of-seven, first-round series at 1-1.
Emery made 31 saves in Game 2 to win his first postseason game anywhere in exactly three years for Anaheim at Nashville. Mason hasn't played since he was injured in a collision in the April 12.
“Right now, the way Razor's playing, there's no hurry,” Mason said.
“He's the reason we won yesterday, so I think even if I was ready there's no reason to take him out right now.”
• The Wild switched goalies for Game 3 of their playoff series against the Avalanche, giving Darcy Kuemper the start instead of Ilya Bryzgalov. Coach Mike Yeo confirmed the change after the pregame morning skate Monday. Yeo pulled Bryzgalov for Kuemper midway through the second period Saturday when the Wild fell behind 3-1. The Wild won Game 3, 1-0, in overtime.
• Blues center David Backes was out for Game 3 against the Blackhawks because of an upper-body injury. St. Louis, however, welcomed the return of Patrik Berglund for Monday night's game against the Stanley Cup champions, who trail in the playoff series 2-0. Berglund missed three games, also with an upper-body injury. Backes was wiped out by a big hit from Blackhawks defenseman Brent Seabrook in the third period of St. Louis' 4-3 overtime victory Saturday. The captain was helped off the ice and did not return.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penguins acquire defensemen Lovejoy, Cole in deadline deals
- No tag for Worilds; Steelers cut Moore
- Rangers up ante in Metropolitan Division with trade acquisitions
- Penguins notebook: ‘Skill practice’ part of optional workout
- Pirates notebook: Hart ‘down a few days’ after cutting foot
- Nasdaq climbs over 5,000 points ... 15 years later
- Arrogant media elites mock Middle America
- Sales, income taxes increases expected in Gov. Tom Wolf’s budget
- Steelers not limiting themselves in free agency
- Shale drilling boom a bust for some Western Pennsylvania towns
- Police charge Beaver County sex offender who snuck into Pittsburgh science center