NHL notebook: Red Wings goalie Howard still out
With their season on the line, the Red Wings are turning to backup goalie Jonas Gustavsson for the second consecutive game.
Coach Mike Babcock said Friday that Gustavsson will start Game 5 on Saturday in Boston with Jimmy Howard still out with an illness. Boston leads the best-of-seven series 3-1.
“Gus is going to start,” Babcock said. “Obviously, (Howard) wasn't able to practice today. I assume he'll be the backup.”
Gustavsson made 37 saves in Game 4's overtime loss after getting notice that he was starting during warmups. It was his first NHL postseason start.
Vezina finalists revealed
Colorado's Semyon Varlamov, Tampa Bay's Ben Bishop and Boston's Tuukka Rask are finalists for the Vezina Trophy, given to the NHL's top goalie.
Varlamov earned a league-best 41 wins, breaking Avalanche coach Patrick Roy's club record for most wins in a season. He went 7-1-1 when facing 40 or more shots.
Bishop won a Lightning-record 37 games and set a franchise mark with a .924 save percentage.
Rask had 36 wins and helped the Bruins capture their first Presidents' Trophy since 1990. He finished first with seven shutouts and second with a .930 save percentage.
Blues' Backes returns
The Blues' David Backes was in the lineup Friday against Chicago after missing two games with an upper-body injury.
Blackhawks defenseman Brent Seabrook was suspended three games for charging and interference against Backes in Game 2.
Surgery for TB goalie
Lightning goalie Bishop will have surgery to repair a torn ligament in his right wrist.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Shooting at hospital near Philadelphia injures 3
- Truck crashes into Dairy Queen, five injured in Penn Hills
- Man snatches purse behind mall
- Allegheny County public works director leaves job
- Beaver DA believes girls might have lived had dad responded faster
- Rossi: Johnston must reach Malkin in Moscow
- Steelers are in familiar territory going into training camp in Latrobe
- Woman accused of stabbing boyfriend in back
- Findlay company owed another $27M, judge decides
- DA must approve some arrests based on eyewitness identification
- Air Algerie flight ‘probably’ crashed in Mali in rough weather