NHL notebook: Hurricanes tab former Penguin Francis as new GM
Jim Rutherford is stepping down as general manager of the Hurricanes, and the team promoted Hall of Fame player Ron Francis to replace him.
Rutherford, 65, spent two decades as the club's GM. He helped shepherd its move from Hartford to North Carolina. He assembled the teams that won one Stanley Cup, played for another and reached the Eastern Conference final in 2009.
Francis, who played for the Penguins from 1991-98, has been the team's vice president of operations since June 2012. Rutherford also played for the Penguins (1971-74).
Norris Trophy finalists
Boston's Zdeno Chara, Chicago's Duncan Keith and Nashville's Shea Weber are finalists for the Norris Trophy, given annually to the NHL's best defenseman. Chara won the award in 2009. The Bruins' captain had 17 goals and a plus-25 rating this past season. Keith finished first among defensemen in assists with 55 and second in points with 61. He won the Norris in 2010. Weber had 33 assists and led all blue-liners with 23 goals.
Capitals' future bright?
George McPhee said he could sense the Capitals were going to get rid of him as general manager, but he thinks the team is set up to reach the Stanley Cup finals “sometime in the next three years.”
Meeting with the media two days after being told his contract would not be renewed after 17 years as GM, McPhee declined to answer questions about Alex Ovechkin or Adam Oates, who was fired as coach.
Source: Flames pick GM
A league official familiar with the deal said the Flames will name Coyotes assistant general manager Brad Treliving as their GM.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers use 3 late first-half TDs to stun Texans
- Rossi: Steelers’ season all about going big
- Rookie Bryant sparks deep passing game for Steelers in victory
- Harrison woman dead in 3-car crash in Natrona Heights
- Bortuzzo could provide much-needed physical presence for Penguins
- Steelers notebook: Adams replaces concussed Gilbert
- For all but 2 minutes vs. Steelers, Texans played ‘pretty good game’
- Kin of 2013 DUI crash victim in Hempfield lose young family in fire
- Natrona Bottling Co. keeps soda pop operation small, putting effort into craft, taste
- Pa. Supreme Court Justice McCaffery suspended in email porn scandal
- Steelers-Texans game changers: Bell’s 43-yard catch provides spark