NHL notebook: Florida Panthers fire interim coach
SUNRISE, Fla. — The Panthers parted ways with interim coach Peter Horachek.
Panthers general manager Dale Tallon made the announcement Tuesday, saying the dismissal was effective immediately. Horachek replaced Kevin Dineen as Panthers' coach Nov. 8, and Florida went 26-36-4. Horachek had been the coach of Florida's AHL affiliate in San Antonio before being summoned to lead the Panthers.
Florida finished with the second-lowest point total in the NHL this season and missed the playoffs for the 12th time in 13 seasons. The Panthers last won a playoff series in 1996, the year they lost to Colorado in the Stanley Cup finals.
Babcock: There's no rush
Red Wings coach Mike Babcock, who has one year left on his contract, insists getting a new deal this offseason is not a priority, adding he would be comfortable signing one-year contracts in the future with the franchise.
He finished his ninth season as Detroit's coach Saturday at Boston, where the Bruins eliminated the Red Wings in Game 5 of their first-round series.
Flyers D has surgery
Flyers defenseman Nicklas Grossmann will miss eight to 10 weeks after having surgery Tuesday to repair a damaged tendon in his right ankle, NHL.com reported.
Goalie's wrist repaired
Lightning goaltender Ben Bishop had a successful procedure to repair a torn ligament in his right wrist Tuesday at the Cleveland Clinic, NHL.com reported.
Bishop, who was named a Vezina Trophy finalist last week, will require between three and four months of rehabilitation.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rossi: Baseball needs a new schedule
- Steelers remain confident in defense
- Pirates rout Cardinals to keep things interesting in NL Central
- Berry wins Steelers’ punting job; Wing traded to Giants
- State lawmaker proposes increasing cost of fishing licenses
- Pirates notebook: Burnett continues to progress, amps up to 95-pitch simulated game
- Pitt’s Narduzzi revisits YSU roots in opener
- Security guard shot outside East Hills restaurant
- Megyn Kelly’s forte not Pa. Megan’s
- LaBar: Best next opponent for Brock Lesnar
- Pirates reliever Liz new, improved