NHL notebook: Canucks fire fiery coach Tortorella
The Canucks fired John Tortorella one year into the fiery coach's long-term deal.
Tortorella, who signed a five-year contract last summer after being dismissed by the New York Rangers, failed to reach the playoffs behind the Vancouver bench. Assistant coach Mike Sullivan was also fired on Thursday.
The Canucks finished 25th in the 30-team NHL.
• Defenseman Tom Poti is retiring from hockey after 14 NHL seasons. In 824 regular-season games with the Oilers, Rangers, Islanders and Capitals, Poti had 69 goals and 258 assists.
• The Capitals traded goaltender Jaroslav Halak to the Islanders for a fourth-round pick in the 2014 draft.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penguins see Stars, blanked by Dallas in opening game
- Starkey: Pirates gaining bad big-game rep
- A field day on social media as Pirates’ Rodriguez attacks Gatorade cooler
- Steelers quarterback Vick getting more acquainted with offense
- Steelers hoping to establish run early against San Diego
- Pirates notebook: Fastball command issues hurt Cole against Cubs
- Kennametal HQ relocation rankles Westmoreland County business leadership
- Officials: 1 dead, 3 wounded in Northern Arizona University shooting
- Upper St. Clair lifeguard ordered to stand trial for rape of female lifeguard
- Clerical error blamed as Armstrong inmate is released
- What’s old is new at Toll Gate Revival in Lawrenceville