NHL notebook: Flyers name Hextall GM
Ron Hextall was promoted to general manager by the Flyers, and Paul Holmgren was elevated to president.
Hextall is Philadelphia's all-time winningest goalie and served as assistant GM last year.
Holmgren replaced Bob Clarke as GM during the 2006-07 season and led the Flyers to within two games of the Stanley Cup title in 2010.
The Flyers were eliminated by the New York Rangers in seven games in the first round of the playoffs. They haven't won a Cup since 1975.
The 50-year-old Hextall played 13 seasons in the NHL.
Blues bring back coach
The Blues extended coach Ken Hitchcock's contract through next season.
Assistant coaches Brad Shaw and Ray Bennett also will return to St. Louis.
A third assistant coach, Gary Agnew, and goaltending coach Corey Hirsch are not being retained.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Westinghouse assistant coach placed on leave
- Hampton Fields Village resident celebrates 100th birthday with family, friends
- Steelers trade 6th-round pick for Jaguars kicker Scobee
- Steelers trim roster to 75
- Biden to visit Pittsburgh on Labor Day
- McKinley backers balk over mountain’s name change
- Steelers WR Bryant’s suspension upheld
- Green Tree Farmers Market hosts culinary competition
- China’s WWII parade of military might stirs up Taiwan, others in Asia
- Steelworkers: ATI talks to resume Sept. 11
- LaBar: Sting making history fighting for WWE title