NHL notebook: Flyers name Hextall GM
Ron Hextall was promoted to general manager by the Flyers, and Paul Holmgren was elevated to president.
Hextall is Philadelphia's all-time winningest goalie and served as assistant GM last year.
Holmgren replaced Bob Clarke as GM during the 2006-07 season and led the Flyers to within two games of the Stanley Cup title in 2010.
The Flyers were eliminated by the New York Rangers in seven games in the first round of the playoffs. They haven't won a Cup since 1975.
The 50-year-old Hextall played 13 seasons in the NHL.
Blues bring back coach
The Blues extended coach Ken Hitchcock's contract through next season.
Assistant coaches Brad Shaw and Ray Bennett also will return to St. Louis.
A third assistant coach, Gary Agnew, and goaltending coach Corey Hirsch are not being retained.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Woman dead in two-car crash in Natrona Heights
- County investigators determine fatal McKeesport fire started in living room
- Opposing defenses find success against Steelers by eschewing blitz
- Former Rollier’s store to become art gallery, cafe
- Dunbar woman, toddler in critical condition after high-speed crash
- Vin Diesel showing some love for Pittsburgh and co-star
- Steelers looking for Spence to step up game at inside linebacker
- Penguins equipment manager attends to multitude of details
- Penguins forward Downie becoming a hit with teammates
- Unpaid August Wilson creditors seek help from judge
- LaBar: What the WrestleMania title match should be