NHL notebook: Flyers name Hextall GM
Ron Hextall was promoted to general manager by the Flyers, and Paul Holmgren was elevated to president.
Hextall is Philadelphia's all-time winningest goalie and served as assistant GM last year.
Holmgren replaced Bob Clarke as GM during the 2006-07 season and led the Flyers to within two games of the Stanley Cup title in 2010.
The Flyers were eliminated by the New York Rangers in seven games in the first round of the playoffs. They haven't won a Cup since 1975.
The 50-year-old Hextall played 13 seasons in the NHL.
Blues bring back coach
The Blues extended coach Ken Hitchcock's contract through next season.
Assistant coaches Brad Shaw and Ray Bennett also will return to St. Louis.
A third assistant coach, Gary Agnew, and goaltending coach Corey Hirsch are not being retained.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Liriano, Pirates beat Giants, inch closer to lead in NL Central
- Starkey: Would one big move kill Pirates’ future?
- Pirates inquire about Red Sox LHP Lester
- Pirates think Mercer’s defense deserves more credit
- Steelers offensive linemen looking to build on strong 2013 finish
- Home price gains slow for 6th-straight month
- Roundup: Study finds 35 percent in US facing debt collectors; JPMorgan paying $650K to settle CFTC charges; more
- Tech giants lead rush for profits in foreign countries
- Rayburn businessman honored for charitable work
- Fed to keep cards close to the vest
- Woman who stabbed while naked in McKees Rocks believed to be in New Kensington area