NHL notebook: Habs goalie Price's Game 2 status uncertain
Montreal goaltender Carey Price briefly tested his right knee Sunday before the Canadiens' optional practice. Coach Michel Therrien said the team will know about his status Monday before they host the Rangers for Game 2 of the Eastern Conference final.
Price spent about five minutes on the ice with goaltending coach Stephane Waite, mostly moving side to side in the crease.
“Today was an optional practice,” Therrien said. “It was a therapy day for Carey.”
Rangers attend funeral for St. Louis' mom
Rangers coaches and players joined forward Martin St. Louis at his mother's funeral Sunday outside Montreal. St. Louis' former Lightning teammate Steven Stamkos and Hall of Famer Guy Lafleur also attended.
St. Louis' mother died suddenly three days before Mother's Day in the middle of the Rangers' series against the Penguins.
Ovechkin injures knee at Worlds
Capitals forward Alex Ovechkin was taken to a hospital with a right leg injury Sunday after colliding with an opponent during Russia's game against Germany at the world hockey championships.
Ovechkin collided with forward Marcus Kink midway through the third period and stayed on the ice for several minutes before being helped off the ice. He later tweeted that he was OK after undergoing evaluation at a Belarus hospital after Russia's 3-0 victory.
U.S., Canada move on
In Minsk, Belarus, defenseman Ryan Ellis scored in overtime to give Canada a 3-2 win over defending champion Sweden at the world championships. For the United States, Tyler Johnson scored twice in a 3-1 win over Finland to guarantee the Americans make the quarterfinals.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers receiver Heyward-Bey looks to make most of chance
- Steelers know fast start could be key to upcoming season
- Steelers formalize practice squad
- Rossi: Cole perfect pitcher to start pivotal series for Pirates
- Former Clairton, Pitt cornerback Coles enrolls at Duquesne
- Scientists dismiss dire outlook for Western Pennsylvania winter weather
- W.Va. smoking ban a strong precedent, advocates say
- New Ohiopyle park manager ready for big challenge that comes with job
- Western Pennsylvania workers’ names echo different career paths
- Northampton man has four major drug arrests in Western Pa. since 2009
- Cyclist traffic wanted