NHL notebook: Capitals hire Trotz, promote MacLellan to GM
The Capitals on Monday hired former Predators coach Barry Trotz to the same position and promoted Brian MacLellan to general manager.
Trotz was the Predators' coach for 15 seasons before being dropped from the job in April. In Washington, he takes over for Adam Oates, who was fired with a season left on his three-year deal.
MacLellan, who also gets the title of senior vice president, replaces George McPhee, whose contract was not renewed after 17 seasons with the Capitals.
MacLellan has been with Washington for 13 seasons, including seven as assistant GM. He played for five teams during a 10-year NHL playing career.
Habs' Price skates lightly
Injured Canadiens goaltender Carey Price took a light skate for about 20 minutes without his goalie equipment before the team's optional practice Monday.
He has been out with a suspected right knee injury since the second period of Game 1 against the Rangers. He is out for the rest of the series.
Stepan travels with team
Rangers center Derek Stepan is accompanying the team to Montreal, but his status for Game 5 of the Eastern Conference final Tuesday remains uncertain, Newsday reported.
Stepan suffered a broken jaw in Game 3 against the Canadiens on a hit by forward Brandon Prust. He had surgery on his jaw and missed Game 4.
Kings D Regher still out
Kings defenseman Robyn Regehr reported progress on his knee injury but didn't have a timetable for his return after taking part in Monday's morning skate, NHL.com reported.
He still is not participating in drills.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers’ lookahead: New Orleans Saints
- Steelers cornerback Taylor ready to swap earpiece for helmet
- Ehrhoff finding his way with Penguins
- Senior running back Bennett quietly filled role during Pitt career
- Lower gas prices entice motorists to drive long distances for Thanksgiving
- Ferguson protesters march on Pittsburgh streets
- United Mine Workers responds to strike complaint
- U.S. Steel Tower tenants stand to benefit from company’s relocation
- FDA rule to require chain restaurants to post calorie counts
- Retailers that won’t open on Thanksgiving hope move pays off in long run
- Fall fly-by: Blue Angels stop in Unity to discuss 2015 show