NHL notebook: Flyers deal Hartnell to Blue Jackets for Plum native Umberger
PHILADELPHIA — The Flyers acquired Plum native R.J. Umberger and a fourth-round pick in the 2015 draft from the Blue Jackets in exchange for Scott Hartnell.
Umberger makes a return to the Flyers after spending the past six seasons with Columbus.
Last season, the forward had 18 goals and 16 assists in 74 games to help the Blue Jackets reach the playoffs.
Umberger began his NHL career with the Flyers in 2005-06 and had 49 goals and 67 assists in 228 games in three seasons from 2005-08.
Hartnell appeared in 517 games for the Flyers over seven seasons with 157 goals and 169 assists.
Hall of Fame class named
Dominik Hasek, Mike Modano, Peter Forsberg and Rob Blake are headed into the Hockey Hall of Fame.
The four players were among six selected Monday for induction in November. The late Pat Burns will be enshrined as a coach in the builder category along with referee Bill McCreary.
Canucks hire Willie Desjardins
Willie Desjardins was hired as coach of the Canucks, succeeding the fired John Tortorella after a season in which Vancouver missed the playoffs for the first time since 2008.
This is his first NHL head coaching job. He was an assistant with the Stars from 2010-12 and most recently led the AHL's Texas Stars to a Calder Cup title.
Capitals assistant steps down
Capitals assistant Calle Johansson, is leaving the team and returning to his native Sweden.
Johansson, who played in more games (1,183) as a Capital than any player, said his youngest daughter, Madeline, was going to high school in Sweden and already had missed one year and wanted to be back with her friends.
Markov gets $17.25M deal
Andrei Markov is staying with the Canadiens. The 35-year-old defenseman agreed to terms of a $17.25 million, three-year extension. Markov was set to become an unrestricted free agent.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rossi: Pirates must land Lester
- Steelers notebook: Brown calls Sanders’ comments about Roethlisberger ‘terrible’
- Steelers hold high hopes for pass defense
- Joe Greene only 2nd player in Steelers history to get number retired
- After years of lobbying, Big Ben has Steelers running the no-huddle
- Pirates notebook: Trade rumors for Red Sox pitcher Lester still swirling
- Pirates manage to stumble on the bases in bid for sweep of Giants
- Blairsville bar, adjacent building on fire
- Pittsburgh Public Safety Director Bucar upset with DA Zappala for alert
- Layoffs possible at 5 state system schools, including Edinboro, Clarion
- 30 cited for blocking street at union rally at UPMC facility