NHL notebook: Wild reportedly interested in Iginla, Vanek
• NHL.com reported the Wild have been in contact with free-agent forwards Jarome Iginla and Thomas Vanek. Iginla, who turns 37 on Tuesday, scored 30 goals and 61 points with the Bruins last season. The Bruins would like to sign Iginla but might not be able to fit him in under the NHL salary cap of $69 million. Iginla played 13 games with the Penguins in 2012-13, scoring five goals and 11 points. Vanek, who lives in Minnesota in the offseason, had 27 goals and 68 points for three teams in 2013-14.
• “Hockey Night in Canada” reported the Panthers placed defenseman and captain Ed Jovanoski, 38, on unconditional waivers and plan to buy out the final year of his contract. Jovanoski, a six-time All-Star, is scheduled to make $4 million in 2014-15. He had five points (one goal, four assists) in 37 games with the Panthers last season. Jovanoski, who made his NHL debut in 1995-96, has 137 goals and 363 assists in 1,128 games with the Panthers, Canucks and Coyotes.
• The Sabres bought out defenseman Christian Ehrhoff's contract, making him an unrestricted free agent. Ehrhoff signed a 10-year, $40 million contract with the Sabres in 2011. He made $18 million over the first two years of the deal. Ehrhoff, 31, has 313 career points in 692 games. He had 33 points in 79 games last season. Ehrhoff entered the NHL as a fourth-round pick of the Sharks in 2001. He has played for the Sharks, Sabres and Canucks.
• Capitals coach Barry Trotz told CSN Washington that Alex Ovechkin will start training camp as a right wing, but he could switch sides if he needs a boost in production. Ovechkin moved to right wing two seasons ago. He led the NHL with 51 goals but had a minus-35 rating last season. Trotz said increasing Ovechkin's retreat into the defensive zone should improve both statistics.
— Wire reports
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Opposing defenses find success against Steelers by eschewing blitz
- Penguins forward Downie becoming a hit with teammates
- Steelers looking for Spence to step up game at inside linebacker
- Western Pennsylvania residents chill about forecasters’ spat
- Large-scale batteries are integral in shift to renewable energy
- Shale oil, gas finds put Mon Valley on path to renaissance, leaders say
- North Huntingdon church shaken by youth pastor’s child porn rap
- Legal titans prepared to tussle in Ferrante cyanide homicide trial
- Water process eyed for 2 parks in Allegheny County
- Fox Chapel native nearing return to Penn State offensive line
- Pitt’s defense has not rested in post-Donald era